IndyCar points leader Alex Palou is testing for McLaren at the home of the Hungarian Grand Prix today.
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
McLaren is holding a three-day test at the Hungaroring which will hold the 11th round of this year's world championship next month. It is running its 2021 chassis, the MCL35M, in a sponsor-free livery.
Race driver Oscar Piastri began the test yesterday before Palou took over. Test and development driver Oliver Turvey will drive the car on Friday.
Palou drives for McLaren's rivals Ganassi in IndyCar. The two teams were involved in a legal dispute over his services last year which was resolved with Palou remaining at Ganassi this season while joining McLaren's new junior driver programme and becoming the team's F1 reserve driver.
McLaren revealed on social media it is testing at the Hungaroring , which will hold the 11th round of this year's world championship next month. The team is running its 2021 chassis, the MCL35M.
Palou made his debut in an official F1 race weekend when he drove during the first practice session for Circuit of the Americas last year. McLaren ran him in one of the minimum of two occasions teams are required to field a driver who has made no more than two grand prix starts.
The other opportunity was taken by McLaren IndyCar driver Pato O'Ward at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. O'Ward is another of McLaren's junior drivers, along with Formula 4 racer Ugo Ugochukwu.
Palou is enjoying a strong run of form in IndyCar, taking pole position for the last three races in a row and winning two of them.
Image: McLaren via Twitter
Don’t miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
2023 F1 season
- Verstappen explains 'inchident' in pit lane and latest run-in with Hamilton
- Rivals praise McLaren's "amazing" result as team stun in qualifying
- Bottas disqualified over fuel sample, AlphaTauri fined for unsafe release
- "Thank God nothing happened" in high-speed near-miss with Zhou, says Ocon
- Hamilton: McLaren's performance is 'a wake-up call, others have overtaken us'
- F1 news: Lewis Hamilton beaten by Sergio Perez in testing after Mercedes ‘unplanned’ chat
- RaceFans writers' first times seeing F1 up-close · RaceFans
- F1 testing 2023 guide: What is it, when is it and can I watch it
- Lando Norris takes exception to ‘complete BS’ reports of McLaren tension
- Palou gets McLaren F1 reserve driver role for 2023 · RaceFans
- Perez can get payback for 2022 as Verstappen and Leclerc join the midfield melee · RaceFans
- Newgarden denies O'Ward again as Grosjean crashes · RaceFans
- "Got away with that one!": Unheard Australian GP radio · RaceFans
- Perez on pole after Verstappen's driveshaft fails, Alonso inherits second from Leclerc · RaceFans
- 2023 Saudi Arabian Grand Prix weekend F1 driver ratings · RaceFans
- F1 news: Hamilton takes pop at Ecclestone, Verstappen investigation, Toto Wolff exit plan
- Piastri targets clean first lap and 'hopefully my front wing doesn't wipe out Lando' · RaceFans
- 2023 Australian Grand Prix F1 Driver Ratings | RaceFans
- Verstappen completes practice sweep as Red Bull leave rivals a second behind · RaceFans
- Top Ten: Track masters · RaceFans
- Ferrari enjoy "most positive" Friday yet but don't expect to challenge Red Bull · RaceFans
- Red Bull retain their advantage in Jeddah but Alpine have joined the chasing pack · RaceFans
- Verstappen spins but goes quickest as GPS fault causes red flag · RaceFans
Palou takes over from Piastri in three-day McLaren test at Hungaroring · RaceFans have 586 words, post on www.racefans.net at June 8, 2023. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.