Formula 1 has stated that the Canadian Grand Prix is "not at risk" of being cancelled, with around 150 wildfires currently burning across Quebec.
The smoke across the region spread as far as New York City on Thursday morning, with residents there told to wear masks because of the poor air quality and visibility believed to not even stretch across the Hudson River, which separates two sides of the city.
Conditions remain dangerous across multiple areas on the East Coast in North America, but Montreal is not believed to be one of them at this time, though a change of wind direction could still affect Montreal at a later date.
Following talks with F1's Incident Management Group, Canadian Grand Prix organisers and local government officials assured Formula 1 that air quality in the area is good and the race can currently go ahead as planned.
A spokesperson from Formula 1 said of the current state of the Canadian Grand Prix: "The event is not at risk, and we have been assured by all the relevant information that the situation in Montreal at this time is different to other parts of the country and northern US. The risk remains low and air quality is good in Montreal."
Huge portions of the population in America and Canada remain under air quality warnings however, with footage emerging of smoke-filled haze falling on cities across the East Coast.
Local residents have been asked to remain indoors where possible, and some areas are handing out free N95 masks for people to wear outdoors to combat the poor air quality.
The race is due to take place on the weekend of 16-18 June at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, with two races having already been cancelled so far in the 2023 season.
Ongoing Covid-19 restrictions saw the Chinese Grand Prix called off back in April, while devastating flooding in northern Italy meant the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix was cancelled in May.
- 2016 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix team radio transcript · RaceFans
- Reports: F1 issues letter in response to Mohammed Ben Sulayem’s ‘major overstep’
- F1 rule changes - The feud between three team bosses over 2023’s biggest update
- Pierre Gasly and Martin Brundle set to agree on major 2023 F1 rules change
- Michael Schumacher's debut F1 car from 1991 put up for sale and it still works to this day
- Ferrari boss Fred Vasseur left 'convinced' as storm around FIA president rages on
- 5 F1 venues that could replace Sochi after blood-thirsty Russia stripped of hosting race
- Lewis Hamilton fears he may never beat Max Verstappen to F1 title ever again
- Sky Sports F1 'wrong' to ditch Johnny Herbert and Paul di Resta after double axe
- Sebastian Vettel reveals he almost became rival Lewis Hamilton’s F1 team-mate after holding shock talks with Mercedes
- F1’s new qualifying rule change could backfire after 2016 update went badly wrong
- Toto Wolff uprooted family from UK to Monaco because of 'security issue'
- FIA boss risks starting another F1 war as fingers pointed at Mercedes, Red Bull and co
- Ferrari doubts raised by F1 fans as Charles Leclerc plots Max Verstappen Red Bull revenge
- 2002 to 2012: Ten ways F1 has improved in ten years · RaceFans
- F1 Season to Have 23 Races But No Replacement For Chinese GP
- More Challenges Await Max Verstappen in 2023 Compared to 2022 F1 season
- Charles Leclerc F1 title boost as news on 2023 Ferrari car leaks that will worry Red Bull
F1 issues update on Canadian Grand Prix as wildfires rage across Quebec have 576 words, post on www.planetf1.com at June 8, 2023. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.