Texas Republicans were quick to react as news surfaced Thursday of a Manhattan grand jury’s indictment of former President Donald Trump on charges reportedly stemming from hush money payments made during his 2016 campaign to cover up an extramarital affair.
Spoiler alert: They were not happy.
Among the swiftest to tear into the indictment was Sen. Ted Cruz , who tweeted: “The Democrat Party’s hatred for Donald Trump knows no bounds. The ‘substance’ of this political persecution is utter garbage. This is completely unprecedented and is a catastrophic escalation in the weaponization of the justice system.” Cruz later called Thursday a “tragic day for our country.”
Today is an absolute outrage and tragic day for our country.
— Ted Cruz (@tedcruz) March 31, 2023
Gov. Greg Abbott also spoke out on Twitter, calling the decision an “abhorrent abuse of power.” He added: “The George Soros-supported NYC DA is only furthering the radical liberal agenda to have elections determined at the jury box rather than the ballot box. America deserves better.”
But the outpouring of support for Trump didn’t stop there. Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton , a longtime Trump ally, also called the indictment an abuse of power in a statement that echoed that of his colleagues. “The radical left has consistently weaponized our courts to silence conservative voices,” Paxton wrote on Twitter. “The actions by the Soros-backed Democrat DA in NYC is the latest example of this abuse of power. I stand with President Trump! #Trump.”
In a slew of tweets, U.S. Rep. Ronny Jackson (R-Amarillo) , a former White House physician for Trump, kept the caps lock on for a strongly worded tweet suggesting that the indictment was all a ploy to sabotage Trump’s 2024 reelection campaign. “This is a dark day in American history,” Jackson tweeted. “President Trump’s only ‘crime’ was MAKING AMERICA GREAT AGAIN! These cowardly Democrats HATE Trump and HATE his voters even more. When Trump wins, THESE PEOPLE WILL PAY!”
I can't believe this is happening in America. President Trump is the GREATEST President I've ever seen, but because he fights for YOU, they want him BEHIND BARS! We'll have the last laugh. President Trump will be BACK in the White House!!
— Ronny Jackson (@RonnyJacksonTX) March 30, 2023
State Rep. Dustin Burrows (R-Lubbock) even went so far as to invoke Soviet leader Joseph Stalin to criticize the indictment. “Trump’s indictment reflect methods Stalin and his Communist Party used to destroy their political opponents. ‘Show me the man and I’ll find you the crime.'”
Trump's indictment reflect methods Stalin and his Communist Party used to destroy their political opponents.
— Dustin Burrows (@Burrows4TX) March 30, 2023
U.S. Rep. Wesley Hunt (R-Houston) , who spoke ahead of Trump at his Waco rally, tweeted that the indictment was an attack on “everything we hold sacred about our Republic,” adding “If they can come for him, they can come for you. Our judicial system is not blind or just, it has been weaponized by dangerous people hellbent on remaking our nation into something unrecognizable.” While Houston’s Republican U.S. Rep. Dan Crenshaw didn’t name Trump in his tweet, he wrote: “Unprecedented. America’s justice system should never be weaponized for political grandstanding.”
On the other side, several Texas Democrats, including U.S. Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-Dallas) , celebrated the indictment and emphasized that no one, not even a former president, is above the law. “As a former public defender, I know the importance of a fair and unbiased judicial process,” Crockett tweeted. “I urge my fellow Americans to put politics aside & refrain from violent rhetoric. This is a critical moment—we must not fail it.”
U.S. Rep. Joaquin Castro, (D-San Antonio) , simply wrote on Twitter: “May just be served, finally.”
- Prominent Republicans are condemning President Trump's false victory claim
- Donald Trump Jr. Condemns '2024 GOP Hopefuls' as Divide Opens Between Republicans and Trump Loyalists
- 'This is Getting Insane': Some Republicans Swift to Condemn Trump for Latest False Election Claims
- Newt Gingrich tells Donald Trump and Senate Republicans to open 'investigations' into 'fraud' in states called for Joe Biden including Arizona echoing president's claims Democrats are 'stealing election'
- 75 days of chaos and denial: How Donald Trump can keep fighting his defeat until Joe Biden is sworn in - and even then how does he get removed from the White House?
- It's REALLY not over - how Donald Trump has 74 days when he can try to upend Joe Biden's victory, bring the country to the edge of constitutional crisis and even refuse to leave the White House
- Donald Trump's US election endgame has been in plain sight for months
- Donald Trump: ‘I Always Denounce’ White Supremacists
- Donald Trump looks beaten man as Biden threatens to 'escort trespasser' from White House
- Donald Trump says will go to Supreme Court to dispute election count; Joe Biden campaign says its lawyers standing by
- Donald Trump's 'YMCA' Dancing Video on Election Day Watched Over 10 Million Times
- Donald Trump’s Anti-P.C. Crusade Creates a Feedback Loop of Resentment Among His Supporters
- Donald Trump Has 70 Days to Undermine Joe Biden, Even If He Eventually Concedes
- US Presidential Election Result: Joe Biden bats away Donald Trump's false victory claim
- ‘They can try to steal from us’: Donald Trump fumes in White House press briefing
- US Election: Donald Trump's claims of 'stolen' election have some recent precedents - in Gambia and Guyana
- US Election: Donald Trump spreads baseless accusations of voter fraud
- 'Democratic Message of Tolerance?' Netizens Gag as Comedian Re-Tweets Trump Severed Head Pic
Texas Republicans swiftly condemn Donald Trump indictment: 'Utter garbage' have 913 words, post on www.chron.com at March 31, 2023. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.