Christian Horner has given an update as to how Daniel Ricciardo is getting on in his new role of third driver at Red Bull.
For the first time since 2010, the sight of a smiling Ricciardo has not been present on the Formula 1 grid with the Australian driver taking a sabbatical in all but name as he fulfils a third driver role having returned to former team Red Bull.
The 33-year-old has been clear that he still sees his future in the sport, suggesting he is aiming for a 2024 comeback, but for now he is enjoying life away from the pressures of the Formula 1 paddock.
He is back in the paddock for this weekend though as the sport returns to Ricciardo's native Australia and as such, the topic of the Honey Badger's future has been a much-talked-about one.
One man who has provided an update is Ricciardo's boss Christian Horner who said he was "embracing this new role."
"It's great to have him back in blue and be back in the team," he said in Friday's team boss press conference. "This is his first time grand prix he's attending this year and he's really throwing himself into it.
"Sitting in all the briefings, he's been working hard on the simulator in the UK doing some race support and some development work on that."
"And then it is just a positive energy to have around and it's great to see him getting his mojo back, to see that big smile on his face."
Max Verstappen slapped with speeding fine for Australia pit lane infringement Ferrari and Mercedes hold off on upgrades in Melbourne ahead of planned changes for Europe Alpine set sights on fighting Mercedes as in-season developments arrive
"He lights up a room when he walks in," Horner continued, "and his popularity in Formula 1, even though he's not driving, is still probably the most popular driver here.
"For us, it's just positive to have him in the team contributing to the team, to the drivers, to the engineering team and hopefully he'll rediscover his love for the sport."
Should either of Sergio Perez or Max Verstappen be unavailable for a race this year, Ricciardo could step in to fill their place and Horner said the Australian is "10 minutes away from being ready."
"He'll do a bit of testing for us later in the year," Horner said. "And we'll see how that goes for him. But I think it's a different experience. It must be very tough, not being a race driver this weekend but he's thrown himself at embracing this new role.
"I'd say he's about 10 minutes away from being ready. He's in good shape. He's kept himself fit and well. He's training hard and he's ready to go given the chance."
- Christian Horner says Daniel Ricciardo 'did something stupid' before resigning at Red Bull
- Christian Horner confirms Daniel Ricciardo will be Red Bull reserve at select 2023 races
- Christian Horner explains decision to re-sign Daniel Ricciardo after "stupid" career move
- Christian Horner breaks his silence on Daniel Ricciardo move after Helmut Marko error
- Christian Horner calls F1 rivals 'old farts' and explains the feeling of beating Mercedes
- Christian Horner explains avoiding Wolff dinner after Hamilton and Verstappen's night out
- Daniel Ricciardo had one condition he insisted upon in Red Bull talks for 2023
- Christian Horner shares way he manages 'brutal' Max Verstappen when opinions clash
- Daniel Ricciardo planning to ride on two wheels in 2023 as he details USA plan
- McLaren chief opens up on the 'frustration' of Daniel Ricciardo's failed spell
- Sergio Perez claims Red Bull didn't have 'dominant car' despite Max Verstappen dominance
- Daniel Ricciardo wants F1 driver to change his name and he shares inspiration for 2024
- Christian Horner on Brazil fallout and the Verstappen-Perez duo moving forward
- Max Verstappen explains why he 'apologised many times' to Red Bull after budget cap change
- Sergio Perez claims rare victory over Red Bull's Max Verstappen in popularity stakes
- FIA president Mohamed Ben Sulayem makes 'cost cap' dig in handing Christian Horner award
- Christian Horner delivers verdict on Lewis Hamilton 2023 resurgence and Ferrari sackings
- Daniel Ricciardo spills more details on new Red Bull role in first interview since deal
Christian Horner gives Daniel Ricciardo Red Bull update: ‘10 minutes away from being ready’ have 748 words, post on www.planetf1.com at March 31, 2023. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.