Harris County Commissioners passed an ordinance to implement a toll road discount at a count commissioner court meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 31, in a unanimous 5-0 vote.
The 10 percent toll road deduction will start on Sept. 4. The new policy applies only to two-axle passenger vehicles, meaning four-axle trailer trucks are omitted. Two passenger vehicles make up 95 percent of EZTag users.
The policy aims to make EZTags accessible, and will include eight free tags per household. Previously tags were $15 each. Harris County is home to four main tollways: Hardy Toll Road, Katy Managed Lanes on Interstate 10, Sam Houston Tollway and Westpark Tollways.
According to Precinct 3 Commissioner Tom Ramsey, the county has collected over $894 million in tolls over the past 10 years and is happy to give customers a break.
“This gives us confidence on what the Toll Road Authority is doing, when you look at the consistent revenues that they generate,” Ramsey said. “We are in many ways the envy of the state in terms of how well we run our Toll Road Authority.”
At the meeting, Precinct 1 Commissioner Rodney Ellis said he’s also looking forward to see how the Harris County Toll Road Authority expands their options for cash customers.
” I think that’s vitally important that we try to do as much as we can to help the underbanked,” Ellis said.
Additionally, Precinct 2 Commissioner Adrian Garcia thanked Harris County Toll Road Authority Director Robert Trevino for making the toll road more accessible for residents of all incomes.
“Until your arrival, the toll system was for other people, and you have been very creative and very strategic on how to make sure that local neighborhoods, those neighbors inside the loop and inner city are also receiving a benefit from the toll system,” Garcia said.
In an announcement earlier this month previewing the proposed deduction , commissioners said the discount would alleviate costs for residents struggling with increased living costs driven by high inflation.
- Police to apply odd-even system on Trans Sumatra toll road
- Smooth flow on southern route as Trans-Java toll road preferred
- Where does your toll money go? Miami readers asked; we’ve got the answer
- Dodging tolls on the Pennsylvania Turnpike? You could be charged with a felony
- Beach hospitality workers want discounted parking. Commission wants hotels to pitch in
- Melbourne is thinking about a roads congestion tax in the city
- Beach hotel workers will get a parking discount. But their employer isn’t chipping in
- Vinci backtracks on charging missed toll fees during yellow vest protests
- Trans Java Toll makes the southern lane run smoothly : Official
- Mud-covered Socorro County community deals with flooding aftermath
- Real World Economics: Gas taxes for roads have roots in history
- Regional Traffic Management Center to ease congestion, clear road incidents sooner
- Florence death toll swells to 16 as rivers rise
- C-470 project in Douglas County making safer way for bikes too
- P7.7-B road works seen easing MM traffic
- Study recommends toll for Little Cottonwood Canyon's traffic troubles
- Oriental fruit flies found in Sacramento, county says. Here’s the plan to eradicate them
- Italy government passes motorway decree, delays appointing commissioner
Harris County Commissioners pass toll road discount for motorists have 499 words, post on www.chron.com at February 1, 2023. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.