Fraga will share Arnage’s Yokohama-shod #50 Lexus with fellow youngster Yuga Furutani, while Formula Regional Japanese champion and Toyota junior Miki Koyama also joins the line-up as third driver.
Arnage switches to using Lexus GT3 machinery after selling its previous Toyota 86 Mother Chassis car to Team Mach. It marks the third different model the team has used in three seasons.
As well as earning title backing from Anest Iwata, a Yokohama-based heavy manufacturing company, the squad has also entered into a tie-up with Polyphony Digital, the creators of the popular Gran Turismo series of video games.
Fraga will be making his SUPER GT debut, having moved to Japan last year in a bid to revitalise his stalled real-world career.
He tested both Super Formula and Super Formula Lights machinery late last year, and had been actively targeting a seat in the latter category with B-Max Racing.
Furutani raced in Super Formula Lights for TOM’S last season following his Formula Regional Japan title triumph in 2021, but it remains unclear if he’ll stay in the Super Formula feeder for a second year.
Incidentally, both Furutani and Koyama tested for TOM’S in last year’s Super Formula Lights post-season test at Suzuka alongside Vlad Lomko, who has since signed up to race in the European Le Mans Series for Cool Racing.
TOM’S then ran Enzo Trulli, son of ex-Formula 1 racer Jarno, in a separate test at Fuji Speedway in mid-January.
The Arnage Lexus was one of 15 GT300 cars assembled for the start of a two-day test at Fuji on Tuesday.
Team LeMans (Audi R8 LMS GT3), Shade Racing (Toyota GR86 GT) and JLOC (Lamborghini Huracan GT3) were all present with a single car each but have yet to officially announce their plans for the upcoming season.
Roberto Merhi and Yoshiaki Katayama were in action for Team LeMans, Katsuyuki Hiranaka and Eijiro Shimizu were present for Shade Racing, while Yuya Motojima and Takashi Kogure shared JLOC’s #88 Lamborghini.
Confirmed GT300 entries so far
FIA GT3 cars
#4 Goodsmile Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 (Nobuteru Taniguchi/Tatsuya Kataoka)
#7 Team Studie BMW M4 GT3 (Seiji Ara/Bruno Spengler/Masataka Yanagida)
#10 Gainer Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 (Hironobu Yasuda/Riki Okusa)
#18 Team UpGarage Honda NSX GT3 (Takashi Kobayashi/Shun Koide)
#50 Anest Iwata Racing Lexus RC F GT3 (Igor Fraga/Yuga Furutani/Miki Koyama)
#56 Kondo Racing Nissan GT-R NISMO GT3 (Joao Paulo de Oliveira/TBA)
#65 LEON Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3 (Naoya Gamou/Takuro Shinohara)
#96 K-tunes Racing Lexus RC F GT3 (Morio Nitta/Shinichi Takagi)
GTA-GT300, Mother Chassis cars
#5 Team Mach Toyota 86 MC (Yusuke Tomibayashi/Takamitsu Matsui)
#25 Tsuchiya Engineering Toyota GR Supra GT (Togo Suganami/Seita Nonaka)
#30 apr Toyota GR86 GT (Hiroaki Nagai/Manabu Orido/Y. Kamimura/R. Ogawa)
#52 Saitama Toyopet GB Toyota GR Supra GT (Hiroki Yoshida/Kohta Kawaai)
#61 R&D Sport Subaru BRZ GT300 (Takuto Iguchi/Hideki Yamauchi)
- First Look: BMW's Gran Turismo upgrades from 5 Series to 6 Series for 2018 model year
- Daily Drive-Thru: Nissan hoons remote-controlled GT-R, Porsche offers new on-demand service and more
- First Look: 2018 Kia Stinger is a gorgeous, rear-drive, fastback sports sedan from... Korea?
- First Drive: A zinger from south of the 38th parallel, the 2018 Kia Stinger GT puts BMW in its crosshairs
- Daily Drive-Thru: ex-Uber workers reveal secret software, Maven adds monthly rentals, our Lexus NX 300h review, and more
- Daily Drive-Thru: Ford recalls 1 million trucks; Infiniti adds Alexa skill; a Land Rover review and more
- What it’s like to drive the 2018 Jaguar F-Type SVR Convertible, the least British sports car ever to come out of the UK
- 'Gaming disorder' may get classified as a mental health condition — here's what that means
- Fired Hyundai CEO takes fall for bland products, dichotomous market requirements, consumer preferences
- The Spousal Report: Is the 2017 Genesis G90 as good at shuttling kids as it is transporting executives?
- British Bulldog: Bentley builds the world’s fastest and most expensive SUV
- Mercedes builds a sports car killer disguised as a compact luxury sedan with the C63 S
- Atlas can find anything — except blueberry pie
- Short Report: Improvements to the 2016 Infiniti Q50 make it more appealing than ever, but is it capable of inspiring desire?
Fraga lands SUPER GT drive in Gran Turismo-backed Lexus have 679 words, post on www.motorsport.com at February 7, 2023. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.