Heading to Alpine with 10 penalty points on his super licence and with none expiring until after the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix, Pierre Gasly is staring down a potential one race ban if he hits 12.
But, the driver has warned, he's not the only one who could receive ban, saying as many as "four or five" drivers could be out for a race at some point.
F1 introduced the penalty points system in 2014 in response to Romain Grosjean's race suspension for triggering a multi-car pile-up at the start of the 2012 Belgian Grand Prix. It was the seventh lap one incident of his season.
Under the system drivers accrue penalty points for indiscretions and any driver who bags 12 during a rolling 12-month period is automatically banned for a race.
Gasly is knocking on that door, and hard.
He has 10 to his name , although only four are for causing collisions, the other six relating to forcing a driver off the track, speeding in red flag conditions, exceeding track limits and not adhering to the 10-car length rule behind a Safety Car.
As such the 2023 Alpine driver insists he's not a dangerous driver.
"I don't see myself as a racing driver who puts others in danger," Gasly said as per Speedweek .
"Rather, the fact is that I have numerous penalty points due to procedural errors, let's say by driving beyond the track limit boundary."
"I really hope we can find ways to rethink the scoring system."
In fact the Frenchman reckons as many as "five" drivers could find themselves banned before too long.
"I don't think it can be in the interest of the sport that we suddenly have five banned drivers or, in the worst case, a World Championship without one of the main drivers being able to compete at all," he said.
"But if we continue with the current system, then sooner or later we will get into trouble."
While Gasly has 10 points, Lance Stroll is on eight with Max Verstappen and Alex Albon on seven.
Formula 1 is expected to review the super licence points system over the winter with Grand Prix Drivers' Association director George Russell saying some of Gasly's transgressions don't warrant penalty points .
"The penalty doesn't fit the crime, especially in Pierre's case," Russell told BBC Sport.
"They have expressed that we will have the conversation in the off-season and review all of this.
"There is a lot to review this season in many different regards, so the FIA will definitely have a busy off-season.
"In sport, you have to be ready and able to adapt. You have regulations in place and it only takes one incident to recognise maybe the regulation isn't quite right.
"We need to have the capability to change things and take penalty points away afterwards if we all agree it was incorrect."
- Record number of F1 drivers now have penalty points on licence
- Drink driving e-scooter rider, 20, is banned from the roads for two years after jumping a red light and nearly crashing into police car while almost three times the limit
- Millions face tougher restrictions 'by the WEEKEND': PM could close more offices, ban joint exercise and close nurseries if Covid figures don't come down - as Hancock warns it is 'IMPOSSIBLE to say when restrictions will end'
- Another fine mess: Police RESCIND £60 penalty handed to couple visiting wife's dementia-suffering mother in a Welsh care home after outcry in latest Covid crackdown u-turn
- 'NHS is in most dangerous situation in living memory': Chris Whitty warns 'next few weeks will be worst' yet as ministers urge people NOT to chat in supermarkets amid threat of curfews and exercise limited to ONCE a week with fears of 2,000 deaths a DAY
- Covid jab will provoke public to ignore rules: SAGE scientists warn vaccinated Britons will drop measures and want ministers to threaten more lockdowns if people don't behave - as police fines for flouters reach £6million in England
- Tost doubts Red Bull would let Gasly leave AlphaTauri easily
- 'No holidays for Brits for a year': Travel industry's dire warning after Boris's threat to quarantine ALL UK arrivals in airport hotels send BA, Ryanair and easyJet share prices tumbling
- New curbs may be DAYS away: Estate agents could be closed, markets shut and meeting for exercise banned to stop surge in Covid-19 cases unless people start obeying the guidelines, Britons are warned
- Ministers plan to ease Brexit border chaos by fining EU-bound truckers £150 if they don't get Covid test before entering Kent... sparking fury over even MORE red tape that will only punish foreign drivers
- Dakar Rally motorcyclist Pierre Cherpin dies after crash
- 'Stop shirking your responsibility': Michael Gove warns 100 potential Tory lockdown rebels to put the country's interests first as it emerges almost the entire nation is to be banned from socialising indoors until APRIL
- Mask flouters on tubes, buses and trains WILL be fined: Police chief's warning - as Priti Patel warns of get-tough regime with lock-down rule breakers
- MPs blast ministers for taking DAYS to ban travellers from Portugal and swathes of South America after learning about new Brazilian Covid strain - as passengers from Sao Paulo reveal they 'just walked through Heathrow unchecked'
- Government's chief scientific advisor Sir Patrick Vallance warns UK is in for 'a pretty grim period' for Covid deaths which won't reduce 'for some weeks' even if lockdown measures bring infections down - as Britain sees daily record of 1,564 fatalities
- Boris suspends ALL travel corridors from 4am Monday and EVERYONE needs negative COVID test for entry as he warns new strains are being detected and scientists confirm 11 Brits have had Brazil variant
- 100 days of warning: inside the Boogaloo killings of US law enforcement
- Mass roll-out of Covid vaccines for the over-70s 'could begin NEXT WEEK' - as expert warns BOTH Brazilian variants are 'likely' now in the UK but says current wave HAS peaked
Pierre Gasly warns ‘five drivers could be banned’ due to penalty points have 1018 words, post on www.planetf1.com at November 30, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.