For free real time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox sign up to our breaking news emails
Sign up to our free breaking news emails
Pakistani authorities launched a new nationwide anti-polio drive on Monday amid a spike in new cases among children, health officials said. It is the sixth such campaign this year and will last for five days, aiming to inoculate children under the age of 5 in high-risk areas.
The newest drive was aimed at Islamabad and in the high-risk districts in eastern Punjab and southwestern Baluchistan province. A similar campaign will be launched in the northwest in the first week of December.
Pakistan regularly launches polio campaigns despite attacks on workers and police assigned to inoculation drives. Militants falsely claim the vaccination campaigns are a Western conspiracy to sterilize children. Since April, Pakistan has registered 20 new polio cases and the outbreak has been seen as a blow to the efforts to eradicate the disease, which can cause severe paralysis in children.
Pakistan came close to eradicating polio last year, when only one case was reported.
Since then, the new cases have been reported in the northwest, forcing the government to launch anti-polio drives at small intervals in high-risk areas across the country. The last such campaign was launched earlier this month.
Pakistan's anti-polio campaigns are also supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation which last month pledged $1.2 billion to the effort to end polio worldwide. The money will be used for the Global Polio Eradication Initiative's strategy through 2026. The initiative is aimed at ending the polio virus in Pakistan and Afghanistan, the last two endemic countries, the foundation said last month.
- Polio Return Does Not Dampen Rotary Effort
- Home Ministry tells BSF to adopt anti-drone technology
- Five killed in Indian Kashmir as violence spikes
- Juul CEO steps down amid sudden spike in vaping-related illnesses
- Vaping: The deaths, illnesses and controversies as deaths climb past 30
- America's Shameful Truth About School Shooters And Bullying
- After handing the sets, Chinese phone companies to offer accessories
- Brexit deal today... or MORE delay until 2020: Boris Johnson fights to win over the DUP and Tory 'Spartans' to seal a deal - but Arlene Foster warns she doesn't 'trust' the PM and ex-minister brands package ‘unacceptable’
- Edited Transcript of GS earnings conference call or presentation 15-Oct-19 3:00pm GMT
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES OCTOBER 17
- British travel blogger and her boyfriend are FREED from Iranian jail: Couple who were arrested for spying when they flew a drone near military sites are 'relieved' to be back with their families after 'prisoner swap deal'
- Seema Verma to face House Democrats
- Risks of the American-Russian Military Strategies
- Edited Transcript of JNJ earnings conference call or presentation 15-Oct-19 12:30pm GMT
- Edited Transcript of AERI earnings conference call or presentation 7-Aug-19 9:00pm GMT
- Eco-warrior Greta Thunberg and athletics hero Dina Asher-Smith lead the BBC's list of 100 most inspiring and influential women of 2019 - but Kate Middleton and Meghan Markle both fail to make the cut
- The year that broke: 16 ways 2016 let us down
- Career Planning in the Developing Countries
Pakistan launches new anti-polio drive amid spike in cases have 524 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at November 28, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.