For free real time breaking news alerts sent straight to your inbox sign up to our breaking news emails
Sign up to our free breaking news emails
The United Nations said Sunday that negotiations between Yemen's warring sides failed to extend a nationwide cease-fire, after an agreement was not reached before a deadline on Oct. 2. In a statement, the U.N.'s envoy to Yemen called on all sides to refrain from acts of provocation as the talks continue.
The development dampens hopes that the 6-month-old ceasefire could turn into a longer peace.
The truce, which initially took effect in April, is the longest lull of fighting in Yemen's civil war, now in its eighth year. The devastating conflict began in 2014, when the Iranian-backed Houthis seized the capital of Sanaa and much of northern Yemen and forced the government into exile.
In a statement, U.N. envoy for Yemen Hans Grundberg said he "regrets that an agreement has not been reached today," but thanks the internationally recognized government for "engaging positively" with the U.N.-drafted proposal to extend the cease-fire. He called on leaders to continue to endeavor to reach an agreement.
"I urge them to fulfill their obligation to the Yemeni people to pursue every avenue for peace,” he said.
April's truce had originally established a partial opening of the Sanaa airport and the Red Sea port of Hodeida. The ensuing months have seen regular flights start again from the capital's airport to Jordan and Egypt. It also called for lifting a Houthi blockade on Taiz, the country's third largest city. But little progress has been made there, after talks aimed at reopening local roads stalled. Another sticking point is how salaries of public employees will be funded, many of whom have not been compensated for years.
Sunday's statement came a few days after Grundberg met in Sanaa with the top leader of the Houthis, Abdel-Malek al-Houthi, and other senior officials, who have been pushing for a full opening of the airport. The envoy warned last week that the risk of return to war was "real."
- The Trump Administration’s Call to End the Yemen War Is Too Little, Too Late
- Yemen war: Houthi missile attack on Saudi airport 'injures 26'
- ‘Symbolic’ War Powers Push on Iran Passes in House, but Loses Steam from Previous Measure on Yemen
- War games: How Iran could use Yemen to challenge America
- US tried and failed to kill another top Iranian military official in Yemen
- Exclusive– Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna Calls for Bipartisan Coalition to Work with Trump on Ending Foreign Wars: ‘I Think We’re All on the Same Team’ As Americans
- 'We are trapped in war': one year on and still no end in sight for Yemen
- Unicef predicts fresh outbreak of deadly cholera in Yemen
- The United States Is Complicit in the Destruction of Yemen
- Seven days in January: How US and Iran approached the brink of war
- Libya Truce Ongoing amid Reports of Violations by Both Sides
- Yemen: ceasefire agreed for port city of Hodeidah
- How could Iran crisis lead to World War Three? Tehran could hit back with cyber attacks or terror attacks on US forces and Israel - provoking Donald Trump to retaliate in tit-for-tat that could drag in Saudi Arabia, Russia, China and Turkey
- Yemen: coalition to allow evacuation of wounded Houthi rebels
- US tried and failed to kill ANOTHER top Iranian military official in Yemen on same night missile strike killed Qassem Soleimani in Iraq, officials say
- Australia's generous aid to Yemen mustn't be undermined by its weapons sales
- Is Trump Planning a Major US Escalation in Yemen?
- Yemen suicide bombings leave over 130 dead after mosques targeted
Yemen's warring sides fail to extend UN-backed truce have 641 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at October 2, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.