In the round-up: George Russell says he is far more interested in winning races than finishing as runner-up in the world championship.
Russell wants wins, not second in championship
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
Russell, whose best championship position in F1 is 15th, lies fourth in the standings with six races to go, 16 points behind second-placed Charles Leclerc .
However taking that runner-up spot "doesn't mean a huge amount," he admitted. "Nobody remembers who finishes second in the championship.
"If you're given a choice between winning a couple of races this year and finishing outside the top three, or winning no races and finishing second, I would choose the race wins.
"We'll take it, we'll definitely take it for the team, obviously we're going to try and beat Ferrari in the championship but for me I'm here to win and unfortunately that's a bit out of reach in terms of the championship."
No Pau Grand Prix for Euroformula in 2023
The Pau Grand Prix will no longer be part of the Euroformula Open season in 2023. The series revealed its calendar for next year featuring eight rounds at Autodromo do Algarve , Spa-Francorchamps, Hungaroring, Paul Ricard, Red Bull Ring, Monza, Mugello and the Circuit de Catalunya.
F3 test concludes with Colapinto on top
Franco Colapinto, who took two wins in FIA Formula 3 this yer and finished the championship in ninth place, ended the first pre-season test for 2023 on top of the times. The final day of the three-day test at Jerez ran with no red flag interruptions.
Motor racing links of interest:
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
‘I was going to do a nice slow out lap and then go back into the pits to do another pit stop. I was surprised at the lack of grip coming out of the pit lane and managed to go like a skateboarder does when they put the board on a bar and just slide across, I sort of did the same thing with the car and the kerb.’
‘I feel like what Lewis experienced in some stages, I experienced at the beginning of the year before the first race. So I can feel how tough he went through it. He's been through that while he was fighting for several F1 titles.’
A musical about the life of Ayrton Senna has opened in Brazil.
We always endeavour to credit original sources. If you have a tip for a link relating to single-seater motorsport to feature in the next RaceFans round-up please send it in via the contact form .
Notable posts from Twitter, Instagram and more:
— RaceFans (@racefansdotnet) September 24, 2022
- Find more official F1 accounts to follow in the F1 Twitter Directory
Comment of the day
The FIA's treatment of Colton Herta drew a lot of criticism:
We can all name many drivers with enough superlicence points for F1 that have gone through the FIA's preferred feeder system who will never get an F1 seat and also do not have talent. There are also the Mazepins of the world who again had enough superlicence points and only got a shot cause of money.
The bottom line is that the teams can vet their own drivers. If AlphaTauri wants to put an IndyCar driver in the seat for a season, or heck for only five races and then swap if he sucks… they should fully be able to do so. It's their risk and their constructors points and stake.
This entire situation is such a farce. It's entirely bureaucratic and simply based on the FIA protecting it's incredibly ineffective feeder system full of rich pay drivers. Marc
Happy birthday to James Brickles, Wout, Oel F1 and Kennyg!
On this day in motorsport
- 40 years ago today Las Vegas held its most recent F1 race, Michele Alboreto won and Keke Rosberg clinched the world championship. The race was held on a temporary circuit laid out in the car park of the Caesar's Palace casino – next year F1 will race on a new street circuit not far away from where the previous event was held
- Golden Globes 2020: Russel Crowe wins but is not able to attend because he is saving home from Australian bushfire
- Justin Barcia wins second straight Supercross opener in Anaheim
- Aaron Rodgers still has burning desire to win second Super Bowl: 'It's on my mind every day'
- SuperCoach BBL: Is Chris ‘Air’ Jordan the Perth Scorcher to make skipper for Round 6?
- Tennis star Alex de Minaur loses an epic against Rafael Nadal but wins plenty of new fans
- The 49ers should want to face the Seahawks in the Divisional Round (yes, really)
- Russell Wilson leads Seahawks past Eagles in wild-card round
- Bill O’Brien Was The Biggest Disappointment Of NFL’s Divisional Round
- Russell Wilson leads Seattle’s win in Philly
- Ben Simmons for D’Angelo Russell trade gaining steam
- Titans vs. Chiefs score, takeaways: Marcus Mariota leads Tennessee to huge playoff win
- Veterans Cedric Russell, Jalen Johnson save the day for Cajuns after rough start
- Seahawks and Packers renew rivalry in NFL's Divisional Round
- No. 4 Baylor tops No. 3 Kansas 67-55 for first win in the Phog
- Australian stars Margot Robbie and Nicole Kidman dazzle on the Golden Globes red carpet - but Russell Crowe stays home to help his neighbours despite winning Best Actor for The Loudest Voice
- Golden Globes 2020: WW1 film 1917 wins Best Motion Picture - Drama Award in shock result... beating Joker, The Irishman and Marriage Story
- Rockets fight off Hawks for third straight win
- Golden Globes 2020: Russell Crowe sends a powerful message about the bushfires and climate change as he wins Best Actor in a Limited Series... after deciding to skip the ceremony
RaceFans Round-up: Russell wants wins more than second in points have 1058 words, post on www.racefans.net at September 24, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.