The track conditions at the Red Bull Ring were so poor at the start of qualifying that GruppeM driver Mikael Grenier crashed his Mercedes on his outlap, forcing race control to deploy red flags just a minute into the session.
When the action resumed after a short delay, several more drivers went off the track as rain continued to lash down, but no more incidents were recorded for the next part of qualifying.
Reigning champion Maximilian Gotz set the early benchmark with a 1m41.175s in his Winward Mercedes, before his GruppeM team-mate Engel moved the goalposts further with a 1m40.776s.
Gotz made a small improvement on his next flying lap to solidify second position, as the remainder of the field struggled to break the 1m42s barrier in low-grip conditions.
Saturday race winner Nick Cassidy closed within a second of Engel's time in his Red Bull Ferrari with six minutes left on the clock, but the session had to be halted again before more improvements could be made to recover the stranded Audi of Dev Gore .
The track conditions had worsened by the time the drivers returned to the track for a final shot at pole position and, with just two minutes still to run, Ricardo Feller beached his Audi in the gravel trap.
A decision was made not to restart the session after the red flag, granting Engel pole position for the second leg of the Austrian double header.
Maximilian Gotz, Mercedes-AMG Team WINWARD Racing Mercedes-AMG GT3
Photo by: Alexander Trienitz
Gotz qualified just over two tenths behind Engel in second, but will drop down three places on the grid as a result of a penalty carried over from Saturday's opening race.
This will promote Cassidy's Red Bull Ferrari to third ahead of teammate Felipe Fraga , who was lucky to avoid the barriers after a major off-track excursion at Turn 2 between the first and second red flags.
His team-mate and championship leader Sheldon van der Linde qualified fifth-fastest, but will have to take the start in 14th place after being handed a late nine-place grid drop for repeated track limits infringements in Saturday's race.
Audi star Rene Rast wasn't able to fully capitalise on van der Linde's penalty and could only manage the 10th quickest time in qualifying, which will leave him ninth on the grid ahead of Abt teammate Feller.
Among other championship contenders, Lucas Auer couldn't join his Mercedes stablemates near the front of the pack and will line up in 13th place, while Mirko Bortolotti qualified a disappointing 23rd in the Grasser Lamborghini.
DTM Red Bull Ring – Qualifying 2 results:
|Cla||Nº||Driver||Car / Engine||Delay|
|6||31||S.van der Linde||BMW||1.109|
|22||3||K.van der Linde||Audi||3.277|
- Red Bull boss Christian Horner gives spiky Sky Sports interview after Max Verstappen query
- Lewis Hamilton sent early warning by Max Verstappen as Red Bull seek to copy Mercedes
- 'It shows who he really is': Drama at Red Bull after Max Verstappen refuses to help teammate
- Verstappen grabs pole as Alonso stuns with second in wet qualifying · RaceFans
- Max Verstappen hits out at media and reaction to Sergio Perez team order snub as Red Bull defend driver
- Red Bull: Webber made a number two driver again · RaceFans
- Red Bull’s F1 rivals have no appetite for Perez crash investigation
- Max Verstappen asks to ‘skip’ question ahead of F1 Brazil Grand Prix after Red Bull drivers’ second world title
- Daniel Ricciardo set to rejoin Red Bull as F1 champions’ reserve driver
- How BMW's new "freestyle" flagbearers swept to 2022 DTM glory
- Fernando Alonso accused of 'deliberately' sabotaging F1 qualifying like Sergio Perez
- Sao Paulo GP Qualifying: Kevin Magnussen takes maiden F1 pole after George Russell spins in rain
- F1 qualifying results: Max Verstappen takes Abu Dhabi GP pole as Mercedes disappoint
- The factors that helped Magnussen pull off shock F1 pole
- Hulkenberg ends Williams' five-year pole drought · RaceFans
- Formula 1 2022 results – Abu Dhabi Grand Prix: Qualifying
- Ferrari chief has 'no idea' how to win British Grand Prix despite Carlos Sainz pole
- F1 2022: George Russell takes pole at Brazil GP with Sprint victory as Mercedes starts 1-2 - Times of India
DTM Red Bull Ring: Engel on pole in incident-packed wet qualifying have 829 words, post on www.autosport.com at September 25, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.