Carlos Sainz Jnr set the pace for Ferrari in the only dry practice session on Friday at Silverstone.
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
Sainz's best time on a 1'28.942 saw him go quickest overall ahead of Lewis Hamilton in the Mercedes and Lando Norris in the McLaren. Max Verstappen was fourth fastest in the Red Butrll, just ahead of Charles Leclerc in the second Ferrari.
After earlier rain led to hardly any running in first practice, the sun had finally come out by the time that the second and final session of Formula 1 action got underway, with air temperature just over 19C and the track warming to over 31C.
Unsurprisingly, there was a large rush at the green flag as all 20 drivers took to the circuit as soon as they were able to. All three compounds were on display as drivers enjoyed their first dry laps of the weekend, with Verstappen using the mediums to go immediately fastest of all ahead of team mate Sergio Perez .
Red Bull were then replaced by the two Ferraris of Leclerc and Sainz at the top of the times, also on the medium tyres. Norris had a snap of oversteer through the fast Abbey sweeper, before Verstappen had a similar loss of grip into Village slightly further along the lap.
George Russell complained of being impeded by Yuki Tsunoda into Brooklands on one of his flying laps, before Lando Norris appeared to do the same to the Mercedes driver at Luffield on a subsequent lap.
Just before half way through the session, Norris used the soft tyres to put his McLaren to the top of the times with a 1'29.118, over three tenths faster than Leclerc's best time on the mediums. Sainz then took to the track on the softs and put Ferrari back on top with a time a tenth faster than his former McLaren team mate.
Two of the biggest names were remaining in the garage during the middle phase of the session – Verstappen reportedly suffered minor damage to his Red Bull's new floor, while Hamilton's Mercedes was receiving a lot of attention to the rear by his mechanics. Eventually, both drivers were sent back out onto the circuit with around 20 minutes of the session remaining.
There was concern for McLaren when the rear jack failed when Norris returned to the pits after a run, dropping his car harshly onto the solid surface of his pit box. Thankfully, there did not seem to be any significant damage to the floor of the McLaren as Norris was able to be sent back out soon after.
Hamilton moved to second place on the soft tyres with a lap time just 0.16s off Sainz's best time, but after running wide at Copse, Hamilton lost a significant chunk of carbon fibre from his Mercedes over the jagged kerbs on the exit of the corner.
Despite plenty of running in the final minutes, no one improved on Sainz's overall best time. The Ferrari driver therefore held on to end the session as fastest on Friday, just under a tenth-and-a-half quicker than Hamilton in the Mercedes.
Norris held onto third fastest in the McLaren, ahead of Verstappen's Red Bull and Leclerc's Ferrari. Fernando Alonso was sixth quickest for Alpine, ahead of Sergio Perez, George Russell, Daniel Ricciardo and Lance Stroll completing the top ten.
2022 British Grand Prix second practice result
|1||55||Carlos Sainz Jnr||Ferrari||F1-75||1'28.942||28|
|4||1||Max Verstappen||Red Bull||RB18||1'29.149||0.207||18|
|7||11||Sergio Perez||Red Bull||RB18||1'29.753||0.811||17|
|10||18||Lance Stroll||Aston Martin-Mercedes||AMR22||1'29.942||1.000||17|
|11||77||Valtteri Bottas||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||C42||1'30.000||1.058||29|
|12||5||Sebastian Vettel||Aston Martin-Mercedes||AMR22||1'30.057||1.115||20|
|15||24||Zhou Guanyu||Alfa Romeo-Ferrari||C42||1'30.271||1.329||27|
|16||22||Yuki Tsunoda||AlphaTauri-Red Bull||AT03||1'30.338||1.396||29|
|18||10||Pierre Gasly||AlphaTauri-Red Bull||AT03||1'30.510||1.568||28|
2022 British Grand Prix
- Mercedes evaluating whether Red Bull sidepod design would offer gains – Elliott
- Live: 2022 British Grand Prix third practice
- Mercedes and McLaren gains raise prospect of closest qualifying yet – rain or shine
- Hamilton: Mercedes "not miles off" Red Bull and Ferrari after W13 upgrades
- Mercedes have "made a step forward" as Hamilton ends practice second
- Hungarian GP: Vettel quickest in wet second practice
- Lewis Hamilton wins Styrian Grand Prix from pole to flag
- F1 qualifying result in full as Lewis Hamilton dominates in pouring rain
- Hamilton shows he’s the best in the rain with a superb pole
- Hungarian GP Practice Two: Sebastian Vettel fastest in wet running
- Lewis Hamilton storms to pole position for Hungarian Grand Prix
- Hamilton takes pole position at F1’s rain-soaked Styrian GP
- Lewis Hamilton wins Styrian GP from pole after Ferraris collide on first lap
- Hungarian GP Qualifying: Lewis Hamilton beats Valtteri Bottas to pole
- Lando Norris: How McLaren star has turned F1 potential into brilliance
- Hungarian GP, Practice One: Lewis Hamilton ahead, Meredes dominant
- Styrian GP Qualifying: Lewis Hamilton claims wet-weather pole position
- Hungarian GP: Bottas heads Hamilton, Perez in final practice
- 2020 F1 Hungarian GP practice results, Hamilton outpaces Bottas
- Styrian Grand Prix: Hamilton storms to first win of the season as Ferrari duo crash
- Lewis Hamilton wins Hungarian Grand Prix
- F1: Lewis Hamilton claims pole for Hungarian Grand Prix — live buildup
- Hungarian GP Practice Three: Valtteri Bottas fastest from Lewis Hamilton
Sainz leads Hamilton and Norris in second practice at Silverstone · RaceFans have 933 words, post on www.racefans.net at July 1, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.