Three-times Formula 1 world champion Nelson Piquet has issued an apology to Lewis Hamilton over a comment he made about the driver last year which recently gained widespread attention.
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
However Piquet denied he intended any racial connotations in his remark, which he claims was mistranslated in some media coverage.
"I would like to clear up the stories circulating in the media about a comment I made in an interview last year," said the 69-year old in a statement.
"What I said was ill thought out, and I make no defence for it, but I will clarify that the term used is one that has widely and historically been used colloquially in Brazilian Portuguese as a synonym for 'guy' or 'person' and was never intended to offend. I would never use the word I have been accused of in some translations. I strongly condemn any suggestion that the word was used by me with the aim of belittling a driver because of his skin colour.
"Discrimination has no place in F1 or society and I am happy to clarify my thoughts in that respect."
Piquet's comments were widely interpreted as being racist and were criticised by F1 and the FIA as well as several teams and drivers including Hamilton.
Discriminatory or racist language is unacceptable in any form and has no part in society," said F1 in response to an enquiry from RaceFans yesterday . "Lewis is an incredible ambassador for our sport and deserves respect. [Hamilton's] tireless efforts to increase diversity and inclusion are a lesson to many and something we are committed to at F1."
Don’t miss anything new from RaceFans
Follow RaceFans on social media:
2022 F1 season
- Williams to bring upgrade for Albon's car only at Silverstone
- Masi did get it wrong with title-deciding Abu Dhabi GP restart, Horner admits
- "Enough is enough": Hamilton's rivals speak out over Piquet's racist comment
- Red Bull drop Vips from Junior Team over use of racial slur
- Red Bull announce plans for 1,100bhp hypercar with £5 million price tag
- UKIP AM Michelle Brown banned from Senedd over racial slur
- UKIP AM Michelle Brown exclusion appeal over racial slur fails
- General election: 43 lies, gaffes and scandals that make Boris Johnson unfit to rule
- Italian senator says black minister has 'features of orangutan'
Piquet apologises to Hamilton but insists he did not intend comment as racial slur · RaceFans have 431 words, post on www.racefans.net at June 29, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.