H-E-B and the Butt family announced Tuesday they will commit $10 million to help replace Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas following the May 24 mass shooting in which 19 children and two teachers were killed .
The company and the family said in a news release they will work with stakeholders and organizations on the development of the new campus. Texas firms Huckabee and Joeris General Contractors have also made a commitment to donate their services and time to the project, according to H-E-B.
“Our first store in Uvalde opened in 1959, and Uvalde people are our people,” H-E-B Chairman Charles Butt said in a statement. “As we continue to mourn tremendous loss, I join with my family and H-E-B in working to ensure the Uvalde community can move forward from this tragic event. Our children are this country’s future, and our schools should be a safe place where children can thrive and envision new possibilities.”
Those wanting to support the effort are asked to donate to the Uvalde CISD Moving Forward Foundation , a charity formed in wake of the tragedy to raise funds for the new elementary school campus and to serve the immediate and ongoing financial needs of the school district.
The new elementary school campus will “significantly enhance educational offerings” and implement “state-of-the-art safety and security measures” as well as provide infrastructure to support new technology, according to H-E-B. The location and design of the new campus, as well as a timeline for the project, have not been determined.
The announcement follows confirmation from Uvalde Mayor Don McLaughlin last week that the Robb Elementary School building is set to be demolished in wake of the tragedy. “We could never ask a child to go back, or a teacher to go back, into that school ever,” he told city council members at a meeting on June 21.
Last month, H-E-B launched a fundraising campaign and announced it would commit $500,000 to support victims and families affected by the shooting.
- It Was About Time for a Republican to Blame Mass Shootings on Porn
- An Indiana educator survived the mass shooting in Las Vegas
- Santa Fe High School students graduate two weeks after deadly mass shooting
- Song teaches US nursery school kids how to survive mass shootings to the tune of ‘Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star’
- Meet the small-town student activists emerging in Texas after the mass shooting in Santa Fe
- The problem with mass shootings and the media
- Another mass shooting in America this week. But still no action from government.
- Santa Fe gets $1 million in federal aid to help with healing after mass shooting
- Armed employees or a police force: Which is better for schools?
- Trump meets with families after Texas school massacre in gathering closed to press
- L.A. DIGEST: Estrella Elementary wins school dance contest
- 5 People Dead, 2 Injured In 'Targeted' Capital Gazette Shooting
- This Fort Worth-area school district might spend $2.3 million to put armed officers at every campus
- You gave Boise schools $172.5 million for upgrades. Here's how the money is being spent.
- A Wichita school dumped books in the trash, and neighbors want to know why
- School district sees benefits in evening preschool program
- Maine schools promote programs that help students manage emotions
- Mom of 6-year-old Sandy Hook victim brings school safety model to NH
H-E-B, Butt family donate $10 million to replace Robb Elementary School in Uvalde following mass shooting have 565 words, post on www.chron.com at June 28, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.