Loeb called time on his glittering full-time career in the WRC at the end of the 2012 season after a record nine titles with Citroen, earning his place among motorsport's all-time greats.
The Frenchman went on to compete in four WRC events the following year and continues to make one-off appearances in the championship to this date, adding four further wins to his impressive tally – including most recently at the Monte Carlo season opener in January.
He also dabbled in a wide variety of tin-top championships in the ensuing period, most notably driving a McLaren MP4-12C GT3 in the FIA GT series with his self-owned team in 2013 before embarking on a two-year stint in the World Touring Car Championship with Citroen.
However, Loeb's post-WRC career may have looked quite different, with the 48-year-old revealing in an exclusive interview that he may have well ended up in the DTM in 2013 with BMW, a year after the Munich-based manufacturer won the title in its maiden season in the category.
"One time I was in discussion with some manufacturer in DTM to maybe enter the championship," Loeb told Motorsport.com's sister title Motorsport-Total.com in a video interview . "That was nearly 10 years ago, when I was just retiring from WRC.
"Finally, we decided to do something different, but I was looking a bit into the DTM a long time ago already.
"I was speaking with BMW. I think it was quite close [to striking a deal]. Finally, I decided to continue in WRC [part-time] and it stopped our discussion."
Martin Tomczyk, BMW Team RMG, BMW M3 DTM
Photo by: BMW AG
Loeb did get to make his DTM debut earlier this month when he drove an AF Corse-run Ferrari 488 GT3 at Portimao, having been asked by Red Bull to replace the absent Nick Cassidy in the team's line-up.
The Frenchman finished 16th and 18th across the two races in Portugal, and even qualified within eight tenths off pole in the first qualifying session of the weekend.
Having closely followed his performances, AF Corse chief Ron Reichert was most impressed by Loeb's ability to carve through traffic after a safety car restart in Race 1, jumping from 21st to 13th place in a single lap.
“The onboard camera of Seb at the restart in the first race was the video I watched the most this weekend,” he told Motorsport-Total.com.
“He made up six or seven positions in the process – and the feeling he has is just unbelievable,” Reichert said of his driver, who moved up from 21st to 13th in one lap.
“He wasn’t anticipating the start, he was anticipating what was going to happen in front of him on the track, where the other cars were going, who might have contact. He drove like he knew exactly what was going to happen.”
- Tiger Woods: A tumultuous 10 years from scandal to redemption
- Parents of boy who vanished 30 years ago still have hope he's alive
- 'Nearly-complete' skeleton of a 26-foot long duck-billed dinosaur that roamed modern-day Japan 72 million years ago is unearthed
- The sad story of the four years ago…
- Bill Cosby Charged With Sexually Assaulting A Woman 12 Years Ago
- The verdict on 10 years of quantitative easing
- Six years ago today my brother took his own life – I had no idea he was suicidal until it was too late
- Robots have jumped, run and rolled a long way in the last 10 years
- Mum, 34, dies in teenage daughter's arms after 10 year battle with breast cancer
- D-Day veteran, 99, gets ovation from Queen and Donald Trump as he leads nation’s tributes to heroes who stormed the beaches 75 years ago
- Jonas Brothers Announce First Album in 10 Years ‘Happiness Begins’
- What a hero! Adorable moment U.S. veteran high-fives Melania Trump after being awarded Legion of Honor medal from French President Macron for his D-Day heroics 75 years ago - as he reveals he wanted to hug the First Lady 'but just froze'
- Wife of British former headteacher, 65, says the end was 'dignified and calm, exactly as he wanted' after he paid £10,000 to die at Swiss Dignitas clinic following terminal motor neurone disease diagnosis just four years ago
- Brutal 13th-Century death pit from Russian 'city drowned in blood' contains the remains of a grandmother, mother and grandson murdered by Mongols 800 years ago
- 'Boris Johnson is a legend!' Labour candidate is left red-faced after gushing five-year-old Facebook posts praising Conservative leader are unearthed
- The Pussycat Dolls announce they are REUNITING for a UK tour next year a decade after their split... without former band mate Melody Thornton
- 'Great to catch up with Sir Michael Fall… oh': Australian minister posts gushing tweet about meeting the Defence Secretary - 10 minutes AFTER he resigns
- NFL’s Legends Community reaches 10,000 members
WRC legend Loeb came close to joining DTM with BMW 10 years ago have 795 words, post on www.motorsport.com at May 12, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.