McLaren Racing have confirmed they will acquire the Mercedes EQ Formula E team and rebrand as their own entry to the series next year.
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
Mercedes announced last year that they would leave Formula E at the end of 2022 , prior to the introduction of the new 'Gen3' car for the electric championship's ninth season.
McLaren Racing had previously expressed an interest in joining the series when the third-generation car is introduced. They confirmed today they will do so by purchasing Mercedes EQ, the current Formula E teams champions.
The McLaren Group had previously been involved with the series through their McLaren Applied division having supplied the original ECUs for the championship and been exclusive battery supplier up to the end of this current season. McLaren Applied was sold by McLaren Group in 2021.
Upon completion of their takeover of Mercedes EQ, McLaren say that current team principal Ian James will remain in his role to enable a "smooth transition" into its new identity as McLaren.
McLaren Racing CEO Zak Brown said acquiring Mercedes EQ will provide their wider racing programmes a "competitive advantage" by expanding their knowledge of electric vehicle technology.
"McLaren Racing always seeks to compete against the best and on the leading edge of technology, providing our fans, partners and people with new ways to be excited, entertained and inspired," said Brown. "Formula E, like all our racing series, fulfils all those criteria.
"It is also satisfying to provide a home for the class-leading Formula E team that Mercedes has built, which will become a fully-fledged part of the McLaren Racing family. While run separately to our F1 and IndyCar teams, Formula E complements and builds out our EV racing programme alongside Extreme E."
The latest expansion of McLaren's racing activities means they will be present in Formula 1, IndyCar, Extreme E and Formula E from 2022.
Mercedes EQ team principal Ian James said it would be a "privilege" for his team to join McLaren.
"McLaren has always been synonymous with success and high-performance," James said. "This is a great moment for all parties involved but, above all, for the people that make up this team. They are what keeps its heart beating. Being able to continue working with them is what I am most excited about.
"I'm very much looking forward for this next chapter for the team and will be a proud member of it in 2023. Until then, we will be focused on delivering the best results possible as the Mercedes EQ Formula E Team, for the remainder of the current season."
Mercedes EQ currently lead the Formula E teams championship with 120 points. Driver Stoffel Vandoorne is also on top of the drivers' standings having won the most recent round of the series in Monaco.
- McLaren announce purchase of Mercedes EQ Formula E team
- How Formula E's third generation car will keep it ahead of the 'bandwagon-jumpers'
- Abt to return to Formula E as 12th team in 2023
- Why motorsport can't afford to overlook the tyre pollution problem
- Vandoorne beats Evans to take Monaco EPrix win and championship lead
- McLaren show interest in Formula E global electric motor racing series
- Ferrari's fall in Formula One causing corporate concern
- McLaren confirms P1 GTR driver program and gives a first look at the hypercar’s carbon-crazy interior
- History of high performance: Mercedes-AMG through the years
- Jenson Button wins Belgian Grand Prix
- Hamilton profits from Rosberg mistake to win F1 Italian Grand Prix
- Analysis: Who’s winning the electric vehicle race?
- Electric Supercars: In-depth look at the technology underneath the sheet-metal
- 2015 Tokyo Motor Show Preview: 10 cars and concepts to look out for
- Edmunds: 8 new cars, SUVs coming to the U.S. in 2018
- More than 100K students failed Arizona math test
- Car Gifts: The most wonderful, wild, and wacky automobile-themed gifts this holiday season
- Inside Amazon’s battle to get into grocery market
- Winnebago hits the road to lure Millennials to RVs
- Video Game Review: NBA 2K13
- From climate to fry bread, 125 reasons to love Arizona
- Empty seats for Pistons, Wings games draw questions
- Lady Gaga set to launch a 'healthy drinking water brand' in wake of recent weight gain criticism
McLaren announce purchase of Mercedes EQ Formula E team · RaceFans have 725 words, post on www.racefans.net at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.