Two classic Nigel Mansell Formula 1 cars fetched over £6million combined when they went up for auction in Monaco.
As a Formula 1 World Champion and 31-time race winner, Mansell throughout his Formula 1 career got behind the wheel of several iconic cars.
And two of those went under the hammer via Sotherby's in Monaco.
The first of these cars was the 1991 Williams FW14, the challenger that perhaps most famously became a taxi for Ayrton Senna at Silverstone that year.
Mansell had claimed pole and won the race after leading every lap, as well as setting the fastest lap of the race, while Senna's McLaren had ran out of fuel on the final lap. Mansell would pick his rival up on the victory lap to give him a lift back to the pits.
That Williams FW14 was gifted to Mansell by the team at the end of the season, but having put it up for auction, the car fetched a whopping £3.45m.
That's even with the car unable to run, since Renault had taken their engine from it before the car became a souvenir for Mansell.
— The Signature Store (@Signature_Store) May 14, 2022
The other Mansell car up for grabs was his 1989 Ferrari 640.
He would claim victory in that challenger at the season-opening Brazilian Grand Prix, picking up a second win of the campaign in Hungary.
That Ferrari, still complete with the engine, sold for £3.51m in an auction where both cars comfortably earned more than their estimated prices.
Mansell topped up the income by just shy of £85,000 through the sale of some further vehicles in his collection, including a 2005 Grand Prix Masters Reynard V8.
Coming back to the present day, Ferrari now find themselves back in title contention, though the upcoming Spanish Grand Prix will offer a key indication of their ability to stay there.
Red Bull have turned the tide in the title race, Max Verstappen having claimed back-to-back wins, meaning he is now only 19 points behind Ferrari's Charles Leclerc at the top of the Drivers' Championship , while Ferrari's Constructors' lead has been cut to six points by Red Bull.
Ferrari come to the Spanish Grand Prix armed with an upgraded F1-75, though numerous teams will also be bringing upgrades , meaning the order seen in the first five race weekends may be about to get a reshuffle.
- Gets Classic F1 Cars From The ‘80s And ‘90s
- Man Behind Batmobile Now Building A Road-Going F1 Car With A Ferrari V12 Engine
- Celebrity vehicles sell well at British collector car auction
- Watch Lewis Hamilton And Nico Rosberg Lap The ‘Ring In Classic F1 Cars
- Drive Like Nigel Mansell with His 1992 Williams-Renault FW14B Formula 1 Car
- The Raddest 1980s Cars from RM Sotheby’s 2019 Paris Auction
- Can't Afford Senna's McLaren? Try This 1999 Jordan F1 Instead
- Williams' 2005 F1 Official Replica Is The Perfect Item For Your Man Cave
- Senna's McLaren MP4/8A Will Fetch Millions At Auction In Monaco
- Drool Over Dozens Of Classic JDM, Euro Rides Auctioned Off At Tokyo Auto Salon
- Nigel Mansell Thinks New F1 Regs Are Discriminatory For Some Reason
- F1 2018 Packs Loads Of Classic Grand Prix Racers
- Is Ferrari 335s The Most Expensive Car In The World?
- Manheim week sales record broken at Marshall auction
- This French F1-Inspired Electric City Car Is Insane
- Michael Andretti‘s Dodge Demon is up for Auction
- 1998 Mercedes-Benz AMG CLK GTR Added to RM Sotheby’s Monterey Auction
- Hulk Hogan and Mecum Auctions Join Forces for a Great Cause
Mansell made over £6m from two F1 cars at auction have 589 words, post on www.planetf1.com at May 19, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.