Police have arrested a Hmong man in Chiang Rai and seized 30 kilogrammmes of ketamine after he reportedly tried to send 10kg of the drug to the United States.
Pithak Khaengkaeng, 34, was apprehended after staff of the logistics company DHL in Chang Phuek district of Chiang Mai alerted police that they had received a suspicious parcel destined for the US.
Narcotics Suppression Bureau (NSB) officers went to investigate and found the parcel contained foil pouches labelled as white sugar and containing a total of 10kg of ketamine. They then traced the sender and managed to arrest the suspect, who was riding a motorcycle, at the Wat Rong Khun junction in Muang district of Chiang Rai.
The officers took him to his house in Chiang Saen district of Chiang Rai where they found another 20.4kg of ketamine, said Pol Lt Gen Sarayut Sanguanphokhai, the NSB chief.
Mr Pithak reportedly told police that a Hmong friend in Myanmar had asked him to deliver the drugs to a customer in the United States.
He has been charged with illegal possession of Category 2 drugs with intent to sell and trying to smuggle them out of the country. The investigation is being expanded to find others involved in the drug trade.
Packages containing ketamine are found inside a parcel that was destined for the United States. (Photo supplied)
Police search the suspect's house in Chiang Rai and find another 20 kilogrammes of ketamine. (Photo supplied)
- Drugs bust in eastern Thailand nets 11 tonnes of ketamine, worth 29 billion baht
- Opium and Heroin seized at Chiang Mai checkpoint
- 1.6 tons of drugs seized in 2021: Vietnam customs
- U.S. Navy says it seizes arms from Iran likely bound for Yemen
- 340 kg ganja seized in Tiruppur
- Large Haul of Drugs Seized in Thailand, Before Entering Malaysia
- Thai Customs Seizes 93Kg of Crystal Meth Bound for Australia
- Cops seize over RM350,000 worth of drugs during house raid
- More Fentanyl Seized At U.S. Borders Than Heroin For First Time In U.S. History | The Daily Wire
- 21 tonnes of 'ice', B6bn seized in 2021
- Police seize drugs worth £1.25m from lorry at Larne port
- Agents seize meth bound for Australia
- A Fendi handbag for $86? Interpol alerted after websites tout phoney auctions for luxury goods seized by Hong Kong customs
- Customs Agents Seize Over 8,000 Chinese Bongs Bound For California
- Thai authorities seize $40m of crystal meth hidden in punching bags bound for Australia
- 12,737 gamblers arrested in Krishna district, 3,265 bound over in 2021
- Customs officers seize B1.2bn of crystal meth hidden in punching bags
- Thailand seizes $40m of crystal meth hidden in boxing punch bags
10kg of US-bound ketamine seized have 451 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at May 14, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.