Supercars was unable to make its annual trip across the Nullarbor for the past two years due to WA’s strict approach to COVID-19 control.
The state was ultra-protective of its border throughout the pandemic, using it as a barrier to the rest of the country to effectively live a normal life without lengthy lockdowns or social distancing measures.
The trade-off, however, was heavily restricted travel in and out for the best part of two years, which prevented Supercars from racing there in 2020 and 2021.
It was only March this year that WA fully opened its borders to the rest of the country, which has facilitated the return of the Perth SuperNight to the Supercars schedule.
The Perth SuperNight will be a rapid-fire, two-day meeting consisting of three 110-kilometre races, the first of which will be under lights.
Saturday’s action will start with two half-hour practice sessions ahead of a three-part knock-out qualifying session to determine the grid for the opener.
That race will then kick off at 6:40pm local time.
On Sunday there will be two 12-minute, all-in qualifying sessions to determine the grids for the second and third races, which will take place in the afternoon.
All three races will feature a single mandatory pitstop for at least two tyres.
Dunlop’s soft compound control tyre will be in action across the weekend, with each driver limited to five new sets from the beginning of Saturday’s qualifying session.
Tyre degradation will be somewhat of an unknown this weekend given there’s been a two-year break in racing.
The notoriously rough surface was replaced with new bitumen ahead of the 2019 Perth round, however the Supercars crews haven’t seen it since then and it has consistently been used for state-level racing.
If the degradation is at the higher end of the scale, Shane van Gisbergen will be favourite to rack up his first win at the Wanneroo circuit.
The series leader is not only in fine form regarding pace, but has a knack of making the tyres on his Triple Eight Holden last without sacrificing speed.
The Ford teams, meanwhile, will be looking to snap a winless streak that extends back to Sydney Motorsport Park last November.
2022 Supercars Perth SuperNight session times
All times local (GMT +8)
Friday April 29
11:15-11:35 Historic Touring Cars – Practice
Saturday April 30
10:20-10:50 Supercars – Practice 1 12:15-12:45 Supercars – Practice 2 14:40-15:52 Supercars – Qualifying Part 1 14:57-15:07 Supercars – Qualifying Part 2 15:12-15:22 Supercars – Qualifying Part 3 18:40-19:38 Supercars – Race 1
Sunday May 1
8:10-8:25 Historic Touring Cars – Race 3 9:20-9:32 Supercars – Qualifying (Race 2) 9:42-9:54 Supercars – Qualifying (Race 3) 12:05-13:03 Supercars – Race 2 15:45-16:43 Supercars – Race 3
- Signal adds optional link previews for Imgur, Instagram, Reddit, and YouTube
- The Division 2.1 Patch Notes: Patch Preview Shows Crafting Bench Fixes
- Best cars of the Geneva International Motor Show 2019: Electric, hybrid and supercars
- Microsoft uses Minecraft to preview 2022 campus revamp for employees
- California dad passes out multiple times on roller coaster while filming himself
- Audi is taking on Tesla with the all-electric E-Tron. Here’s a sneak preview
- 2019 Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE turns faster lap times with an automatic transmission
- Smaug scores $99.7m int'l session
- Windows 10’s latest preview streamlines Sets and boasts wireless projection tricks
- Windows 10 preview build 17682 now available for Fast ring Insiders
- BOXOFFICE PREVIEW- Batman may bow down to 'Mummy'
- Gamescom 2019 Preview
- Summer Boxoffice Preview 2009
- Brian Wilson biopic Love & Mercy previewed…
- Exclusive! Hear an unreleased session outtake of Kris Kristofferson’s “Best Of All Possible Worlds”
- South Korea’s lost generation of gamers offer a preview of what’s to come
- It's Comic-Con ticket lottery time again
- The Power of Story: Previewing the 2015 Tribeca Film Festival
2022 Supercars Perth SuperNight session times and preview have 636 words, post on www.motorsport.com at April 28, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.