The Sundance film festival on Wednesday cancelled all in-person events due to the rapid spread of the Omicron variant, shifting its indie movie premieres and events online.
The festival takes place each year in the western US state of Utah, and had been planning a hybrid format later this month, featuring physical events with strict health protocols and virtual screenings.
“Despite the most ambitious protocols, the Omicron variant with its unexpectedly high transmissibility rates is pushing the limits of health safety, travel and other infrastructures across the country,” said organizers in a statement.
“And so, today we’re announcing: the Festival’s in-person Utah elements will be moving online this year.”
Co-founded by Robert Redford, Sundance showcases the coming year’s hottest independent, art house and documentary movies.
Among the selected films this year will be jeen-yuhs: A Kanye Trilogy , a documentary assembled from more than two decades of footage shot by West’s longtime friend Clarence “Coodie” Simmons.
The 2022 Sundance Film Festival runs January 20–30.
- Sundance Film Festival Cancels LA Drive-In Screenings
- Sundance Film Festival cancels LA drive-in screenings, Cannes considering postponing
- Kolkata film festival to pay tribute to icons who passed away in 2020
- Kolkata International Film Festival to be launched virtually today; International book fair deferred
- Shah Rukh Khan to be part of 26th Kolkata film festival inauguration
- Slamdance Unveils Dates For Hybrid Film Festival, Boasts Free Online Screenings And Physical Joshua Tree Event
- The show must go on Baton Rouge Jewish Film Festival’s in its15th year
- Film festival sending someone to remote Swedish island to watch 60 movies in one week
- After 2020, Live Events Might Not Look the Same. Good!
- Iconic film characters don masks in KIFF posters
- How Sundance will virtually beam you to space to watch movies and party
- Sundance’s Wildest Movie Stars Lakeith Stanfield, Armie Hammer, and Massive Half-Horse Penises
- Sadiq Khan's own council SCRAPS his £33million green traffic scheme for causing 'chaos', blocking emergency vehicles and generating 'excessive levels of pollution'
- You might NOT be able to get an ambulance: Health chief warns Covid surge could leave patients unable to get help from paramedics with some already facing 10-hour waits
- Pandemic woes: which cultural events can we look forward to in 2021?
- Happy New Lockdown! Just 4% of Britons say they WILL break Covid rules to celebrate with friends tonight despite government pleas to stay at home as police launch crackdown on illegal street parties and Trafalgar Square is fenced off
- Liverpool's Labour-run city council calls for another national lockdown to stop spread of mutant Covid strain and prevent 'catastrophe'
- 2020's BEST Non-Hindi Films
Sundance film festival scraps in-person events due to Covid have 445 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at January 6, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.