Britain's Prince Andrew has given up his honorary membership of the Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews, one of the world's most prestigious golf clubs, as he fights allegations of sexual abuse that have forced him to retreat from public life.
The club in St. Andrews, Scotland announced the move Friday, two weeks after Andrew was stripped of his honorary military titles and roles with charitable organizations amid a U.S. civil lawsuit filed by a woman who says she was forced to have sex with Andrew when she was 17.
"I can confirm that the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews has received notification that the Duke of York will relinquish his honorary membership," the club said in a statement. "We respect and appreciate his decision."
Andrew, also known as the Duke of York, denies the allegations and has asked for a jury trial in the case filed in federal court in New York
The decision to remove Andrew's military titles and charity positions was taken with the "approval and agreement" of his mother, Queen Elizabeth II Buckingham Palace said in a statement Jan. 13. The prince stopped performing royal duties two years ago, after a disastrous BBC interview that stoked criticism about his relationship with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein
"The Duke of York will continue not to undertake any public duties and is defending this case as a private citizen," the palace said earlier this month.
The Royal & Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews was founded in 1754 and helped administer the rules of golf for 250 years until that role was handed over to another organization. It remains a private golf club with about 2,400 members worldwide.
- Royal Family news latest – Queen inducted to horse racing Hall of Fame as Prince Andrew faces monarchy backlash
- Boulder women’s disc golf club creates legacy, inspiring Longmont players
- Country Clubs Where Drives Can Hit 150 M.P.H.
- Max Homa On The Fast Track To Becoming Golf’s Next Household Name
- Royal Family latest news – Fury at ultra-woke Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s £1 BILLION ‘hippy’ investment company
- EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: 'Nightmare' for Prince Charles' friend Count Adam Zamoyski in house arrest
- Aquella Golf and Country Club holding a “Hole-in-One Challenge” activity prior to its official grand opening
- Kate Middleton and Prince William's epic gym with £1880 joining fee revealed – INSIDE
- Royal Family LIVE: Prince Harry 'spotted' next to friend Joe Biden on his Inauguration Day
- Man Utd owners the Glazers’ huge offer to sell the club from Saudi Arabian prince
- EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Comedian Jack Whitehall gives romance a front row seat in his life
- Newcastle fans promised ‘world-class’ players by Amanda Staveley after £300m Saudi takeover of club
- Donald Trump ‘taken aback' after learning Brexit could alter his Scottish golf courses
- Prince Philip: Wales reacts to the death of the Duke of Edinburgh
- Royal Family LIVE: Queen extends olive branch to Harry & Meghan as she bestows new honour
- Royal Family LIVE: 'Rows and jealousy' William & Harry's royal budget feud 'always to be'
- 'Rows and jealousy' William & Harry's royal budget feud 'always to be'
- Europe Ryder Cup star Shane Lowry slams 'drunken idiots' who gave his wife 'dog's abuse'
Prince Andrew gives up membership of prestigious golf club have 564 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at January 28, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.