PHUKET: Local authorities have vowed to take legal action against tourists who fail to wear face masks in public, saying failure to comply with the disease control requirement is rampant in the island province.
Pol Col Thanet Sukchai, the immigration chief in Phuket, said yesterday tourists were failing to wear face masks in public places, and local authorities had resolved to more stringently enforce the requirement laid down by the local communicable disease committee.
Phuket governor Narong Woonciew had earlier asked the Phuket consuls of 22 countries to inform their citizens of the face mask mandate, Pol Col Thanet said.
“Violators will be arrested and prosecuted … [and] the Phuket health office has been assigned to file complaints. We must set an example,” he said.
The Phuket governor would form an operational team to enforce the rule, he said. Local police would take the lead and inspect key locations, including the Soi Bangla and Patong areas.
On Jan 7, the governor issued an order for people to wear face masks when they go out unless they are eating, drinking or exercising.
Violation of the order carries a penalty of up to 20,000 baht under the Communicable Diseases Act, plus a fine of up to 40,000 baht and/or a jail term of up to two years under the Executive Decree on Public Administration in Emergency Situations imposed to control Covid-19.
The local immigration chief did not elaborate on the extent to which actual punishments will be imposed on those who fail to wear face masks in public and how much they are willing to upset visitors.
- Child rapist finally unmasked as ‘reign of terror’ attacker
- EXCLUSIVE: Clapper’s Intel ‘Reforms’ Helped Rice ‘Unmask’ Americans
- Cyber Bullying Unmasked – The Tragic Case Of Cassidy
- Banksy unmasked? Scientists use maths and criminology to map artist's identity
- The Masked Singer SPOILER ALERT: The Project's Gorgi Coghlan wears a disguise as she arrives on set in photos that PROVE she is The Monster
- What It's Really Like to Be In the Audience of
- Prince Andrew is pictured riding at Windsor as it's revealed he used pseudonym to set up secret firm with a sports tycoon who 'organised 2001 Thailand trip' during which Duke was spotted on yacht with topless women
- 'The Masked Singer' Fans Flip After The Leopard Is Revealed: 'He Had Me Really Fooled'
- 'The Masked Singer' Thingamajig Victor Oladipo Wants to Take Nicole Scherzinger on a Date 'In the Near Future'
- The Russia investigation timeline
- Revealed: How Prince Andrew used pseudonym to set up a secret firm with a sports tycoon who organised Thailand trip
- Britain, Holland and US spearhead fightback against Putin's cyber war as they reveal how Moscow's web of hackers hit high-profile targets across the globe - including chemical weapons watchdog probing Salisbury attack
- Devils' Advocate: Meet The Lawyer Fighting To Keep Nazis And Trolls On Twitter
- Raymond Carver: the kindest cut
- 12 Pieces Of Proof: The MSM Knew Obama Spied On Trump and LIED To Cover It Up
- Flynn Refuses To Turn Over Docs To Senate ‘Fishing Expedition’
- Beat the Bullies! How Celebrities React to Mean Tweets
- Parents, This Is How You Can Protect Your Kids On Facebook [Weekly Facebook Tips]
Phuket acts against unmasked have 510 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at January 20, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.