How does one even begin to have a modest discussion about automotive design? Few topics in the realm of motoring are as broad and subjective as styling, but then again, design is quite possibly the single most important aspect of a vehicle.
That’s why this week’s Rambling About Cars episode is so special. Bruce and Smith welcome Motor1.com Editor-In-Chief Seyth Miersma to the program for the challenging task of chatting about great automotive design in the span of just one hour. Considering the discussion exceeded the mark by about 15 minutes, one might say the task was a failure. But the unwritten rules of car culture forbid any discussion featuring the Auburn Boattail Speedster, Lamborghini Miura, Audi R8, and the Lancia Stratos from being labeled anything but a win.
The entire episode is devoted to design, opening with Bruce offering an interesting take on 1960’s trends in America with an eye towards downsizing and minimalism. Miersma builds on that assessment with insight on European designs and influence, and later delves into more European flavor through the late 1990s and early 2000s with an eye towards Audi . Smith steps into the pre-war grandeur of 1930s motoring with the likes of Auburn and Duesenberg. And everyone gets all giddy over wedge cars from the ’70s and ’80s.
Gallery: Lancia Stratos
It’s one thing to talk about beautiful cars, but the prospect of buying a visual masterpiece that charms your heart makes it all rather real. That’s why the trio embarks on a $10,000 cheap car challenge, finding something from their favorite automotive eras and once again, Bruce and Smith have oddly similar choices. Miersma takes the brave path, choosing timeless beauty and luxury that could be a tad pricey to maintain. But hey, such is life when you follow your automotive heart.
This is definitely a subject the Chris’s want to share with the Rambling About Cars fans. What are your favorite eras of automotive design? How about your all-time list of prettiest cars? And while we’re at it, what are some of the worst? You know what to do: comment below, comment on our YouTube channel, or send us a message: [email protected]
Previously On Rambling About Cars:
Rambling About Cars #56 Preview
Next week we have a very special guest lined up for another design-themed episode. John Frye is an insanely talented artist, and if you’re among the 43,000 @fryewerk followers on Instagram, you’ve already seen some of his creations. If you’re not on Instagram, you’ve still probably seen his work, most recently with the official Honda HR-V teaser images . He created them and we’re talking with him next week, so if you have any questions about the life of an automotive artist, share in the comments or through email and we’ll ask away.
Where To Listen
You can watch us and all the tomfoolery every Friday on our Motor1 Podcasts YouTube channel . You can also catch Rambling About Cars on every major podcast platform including Apple Podcasts and Spotify . Wherever you listen, please like, follow, rate, and comment because it exposes the show to more car crazy enthusiasts. And the more enthusiasts that join us on this automotive odyssey, the better.
- The complicated design legacy of Jeff Bezos
- Racing Ahead, Predator Cycling Speeds Design and Development of Custom Bikes with Real-Time Rendering
- All designers are futurists: Why Bruce Mau still believes design can change the world
- The 55 best movies on Hulu right now
- Apple Car release date, design & price rumours
- Burl Cain claims Angola transformation, but prison’s violent era preceded him by decades
- Vietnam’s automotive supporting industries stay behind regional peers
- The best 55-inch TV for 2021
- RESILIENCE AND AGILITY: THE NEW MANTRAS FOR THAI BUSINESSES IN THE POST COVID-19 ERA
- Batman writer James Tynion IV breaks down the new Infinite Frontier era start with #106
- The Rewind: M1 Mac mini diary – my favorite Apple product of the moment [Video]
- Our favorite James Bond gadgets: Exploding pens, dagger shoes and car submarines
- Mixbook's annual sale offers this year's best photo books at up to 55% off!
- Facebook's director of product design on why websites may be a dying business
- How to Use Minimalism in WordPress Web Design
- Windows 10: My five favorite free utilities
- Requiem for the iMac Pro, the ultimate Mac of the Intel era
- VinFast announces designs for electric and internal combustion engine vehicles
Discussing Our Favorite Eras Of Automotive Design: RAC #55 have 755 words, post on www.motor1.com at January 21, 2022. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.