Have you ever thought of shoehorning a V12 inside the measly engine bay of a Subaru WRX? For Jonathan Proulx, that’s the dream – one that he turned into a reality in a crazy engine swap mission. More importantly, the V12 mill came from an unlikely source.
The donor vehicle in this case is a Toyota Century. As you know, the stately sedan once had a V12 engine that’s designed and built by Toyota for the car. It is found in every second-generation Century since 1997; now you can find one inside this gray Subaru WRX. If this isn’t the coolest Subaru-Toyota collaboration, we don’t know what else is.
Gallery: V12-Powered Subaru WRX
The engine is a 5.0-liter 1GZ-FE V12. In its most powerful configuration, it made up to 295 horsepower (220 kilowatts) and 340 pound-feet (460 Newton-meters) of torque. Those numbers didn’t cut it for Proulx; he armed his WRX with two G30-770 turbos, new connecting rods, and new pistons. He also added new Bosch injectors and a MaxxECU Pro computer to come up with a final power output of 1,000 hp.
Sending that massive power output to the wheels is a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission borrowed from a BMW 3 Series .
Engine Swaps Worthy Of Your Attention:
Truth is, the V12 engine is becoming more extinct by the year, with Ferrari at the forefront of keeping the exotic power plant alive . But we probably won’t see the time when Subaru would be making a V12 engine even for its fastest cars.
But for those who share Proulx’s dream of driving a V12-powered Subaru, you may follow his lead and find a donor for a bonkers engine swap project. It is proven possible; all you need is the sheer will to do so.
- 2020 Toyota 86 Hakone Edition review: Cheap thrills
- 2020 Subaru Outback vs. 2020 Subaru Forester
- Toyota Teases Unveiling Of Two New Hybrids On May 18
- Toyota Tries To Justify 2021 Supra's Power Bump To 2020MY Owners
- Aston Martin DBS Superleggera Is A V12 Flagship Monster
- Fun on Wheels! The Subaru BRAT is Too Fun to Exist Today
- 2021 Toyota Supra Dyno Pull Suggests Car Has Way More Than 382 HP
- Toyota Hints At Hot Hatch For U.S. Via Twitter, Just Not The Yaris
- See Toyota Supra Six-Cylinder Drag Race Its Four-Cylinder Sibling
- New breed of pickups mixes horsepower and battery power
- Hurry! Only Hours Left To Win This Amazing 1970 Chevelle Muscle Car!
- Coronavirus live updates: Sonoma NASCAR race canceled
- Super GT season preview: Can Button defend his crown?
- These are the 20 greatest Ferraris ever made
- The shambles, success and demise of Britain’s first big F1 team
- Future cars: The best upcoming cars worth waiting for
- Entry-level doesn’t mean spartan with the 2021 Kia Seltos
- 2015 Nissan 370Z NISMO review
Subaru WRX Powered By A Toyota V12 Makes Up To 1,000 Horsepower have 485 words, post on www.motor1.com at December 4, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.