Mercedes' new sponsorship deal with Irish building materials company Kingspan has been condemned by a group of survivors and families of victims of the Grenfell Tower catastrophe.
Advert | Become a Supporter & go ad-free
Kingspan's logos have been added to the W12 as part of the partnership between it and Mercedes, which was announced yesterday. The company will be also be involved in a "sustainability working group" within the Mercedes team.
However news of the deal prompted an angry response from community group Grenfell United.
A fire engulfed the Grenfell Tower high-rise residential building in west London in June 2017, claiming the lives of 72 residents in one of the deadliest domestic fire disasters in British history.
A public inquest into the catastrophe determined that some of the insulation materials installed around the tower, including a Kingspan product, combusted in the blaze and may have contributed to its severity. Phase two of the public inquest into the disaster will resume next week.
The Grenfell United group representing bereaved families and survivors of the fire have strongly criticised Kingspan and claimed the company misrepresented the fire safety qualities of their products.
In an open letter to Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff , Grenfell United described the announcement of the team's sponsorship deal with Kingspan as "truly shocking".
"Kingspan played a central role in inflicting the pain and suffering that we feel today and there must be a degree of public censure for Kingspan's recklessness and carelessness for human life," the letter states.
A Mercedes spokesperson said: "Our partner Kingspan has supported, and continues to support, the vitally important work of the Inquiry to determine what went wrong and why in the Grenfell Tower tragedy.
"Our new partnership announced this week is centred on sustainability, and will support us in achieving our targets in this area."
British Secretary of State for Housing, Michael Gove, followed Grenfell United in criticising Mercedes in a statement posted on social media.
"Deeply disappointed that Mercedes AMG F1 are accepting sponsorship from cladding firm Kingspan while the Grenfell Inquiry is ongoing," said the cabinet minister. "I will be writing to Mercedes to ask them to reconsider. The Grenfell community deserves better."
Kingspan have been approached for comment. The company previously denied attempting to mislead about the fire safety performance of their materials, maintaining that their product was used "as a substitute product without Kingspan's knowledge in a system that was not compliant with the building's regulations" and that it amounted to 5% of the total insulation materials used on the tower.
2021 F1 season
- Hamilton: Beating Verstappen for eighth title would be my most meaningful triumph
- Raikkonen 'happy F1 career is soon over' ahead of final races
- Vettel ran all-women karting event in Saudi Arabia ahead of country's first F1 race
- FIA officially approves Jeddah track for F1 ahead of inaugural race weekend
- F1's close title fight "good for the sport", Verstappen and Hamilton agree
- 'PROSECUTE senior fire officers over Grenfell': Families call for London fire chief Dany Cotton to lose £2m pension and face criminal charges as report lays bare 'gravely inadequate' planning before tragedy
- Only three out of 160 social housing towers reclad after Grenfell fire
- Grenfell Fire: Boris Johnson Blasts London Mayor for Dodging Responsibility
- Historical Enquiries Team criticised: reaction to HMIC report
- New Zealand's Women in Power: Where are they now?
- How should leaders respond to disasters?
- Revealed: seven UK betting companies are live-streaming FA Cup games
- 'We have created an earthquake': Boris Johnson hails his massive Brexit mandate as election results put Tories on track for EIGHTY majority - while Jeremy Corbyn announces he is on way out after worst Labour result since 1935
- Ben Fogle donates his entire salary for this year's Animal Park to pay for pensioners' TV licences - as WWII PoW, 99, blasts BBC for axing 'lifeline' to 3.7million over-75s
- The private school system is ‘morally rotten’. This could be the moment for its downfall
- Pope has done almost nothing to halt sex abuse, author claims
- No more silence: Franco’s victims raise their voices
- Fears Margaret River Pro cancellation due to dual shark attacks could lead to tourism wipeout
- Betting companies offer to drop exclusive FA Cup coverage after criticism
- A day before release, Cong govts in Puducherry, MP & Chhattisgarh declare 'Chhapaak' tax-free
- As young India protests, young Bollywood finds its voice
- Alan Yentob: the last impresario
- Lord Coe backs Qatar as venue for 2019 World Athletics Championships
Mercedes' Kingspan sponsorship criticised by Grenfell fire survivors and minister · RaceFans have 765 words, post on www.racefans.net at December 2, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.