Singapore: Mixed martial arts fans have been chomping at the bit in anticipation of today’s final of the ONE atomweight World Grand Prix Championship between Thailand’s Stamp Fairtex and Ritu “The Indian Tigress” Phogat.
The bout takes place at the Singapore Indoor Stadium, and none other than 12-time MMA world champion Demetrious “Mighty Mouse” Johnson will be tuning in to catch all the action.
Johnson is all too familiar with MMA tournaments, having won the ONE flyweight World Grand Prix Championship in 2019. Therefore, his predictions carry plenty of weight.
With that said, he is siding with No.2 Stamp to win the Grand Prix, the accompanying silver belt, and the promised shot at current ONE atomweight world champion “Unstoppable” Angela Lee.
“If I had to pick one, I’m going to go with Stamp Fairtex,” Johnson said.
“She’s just huge for the weight class. I think she’s bigger, [and] a better striker.”
But the American is not discrediting fourth-ranked Phogat either.
Like most others who have seen Phogat compete inside the circle, Johnson knows she is an ace on the ground.
After all, she is a former Indian wrestling champion. Moreover, Phogat has used her ground game to power her to a 7-1 MMA record in just two years.
But even with those accomplishments, the Kentucky-born fighter does not see it help Phogat get past former Muay Thai star Stamp from Pattaya.
“Obviously, Ritu is a phenomenal wrestler,” he said. “But I truly feel Stamp is just really big for that division.”
This showdown will not be the first time Phogat is up against an opponent who she has not supposed to beat.
Likewise, this also is not the first time that Stamp is facing a strong grappler.
They are both at their peak and hungry to accomplish their goals.
Stamp wants to become a three-sport world champion while Phogat aspires to become India’s first female MMA world champion.
But according to Johnson, there can only be one winner.
“I’m going to go with Stamp,” he said. “Good luck.”
Tonight’s programme will be shown live on the ONE Super App, YouTube and AIS Play from 7.30pm, and on Thairath TV32 at 9.30pm.
- Bellator 268 predictions: Light Heavyweight World Grand Prix semifinals fight card, start time, odds, preview
- Bellator 268 predictions: Light Heavyweight World Grand Prix semifinals fight card, odds, start time, preview
- World Grand Prix 2021 Darts tips, betting sign up offers and free bets as Gerwyn Price battles Michael van Gerwen and co
- Hamilton takes 10-place Turkish Grand Prix grid penalty
- How Sprint Races At Grands Prix Predate Formula One
- Lewis Hamilton POLL: Will Max Verstappen beat Brit to title after US Grand Prix win? VOTE
- Texas Grand Prix | Verstappen wins, extends title chase lead
- Max Verstappen lands huge Lewis Hamilton blow with US Grand Prix victory
- Daniel Ricciardo wins Italian Formula One Grand Prix, Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen crash out
- Bradie Tennell withdraws from second Grand Prix assignment - OlympicTalk | NBC Sports
- Texas Grand Prix | Verstappen on pole and Hamilton alongside in Texas
- PDC Women's Series: Fallon Sherrock, Lisa Ashton poised to seal World Championship returns this month
- Jonny Clayton says fans booing Gerwyn Price are 'dead out of order' and discusses his Grand Prix triumph
- 2021 MotoGP Emilia Romagna Grand Prix – How to watch, session times & more
- Nico Rosberg joins Mercedes Grand Prix for 2010 F1 season
- How to watch 2021 United States Grand Prix F1 live stream free and from anywhere
- Vettel extends his F1 domination in Indian Grand Prix · RaceFans
- F1 Paddock Diary: United States Grand Prix day three | RaceFans
Johnson tips Stamp to seal World Grand Prix title have 593 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at December 3, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.