Israel’s government minister for public security on Monday said he is now under round-the-clock protection after coming under threats from Jewish extremists.
Omer Barlev also accused members of Prime Minister Naftali Bennett s pro-settler Yemina party of contributing to the fraught atmosphere.
Barlev, who oversees the national police force, said U.S. officials had raised concerns about the settler violence with him and that he pledged to address the issue.
"I will continue to fight Palestinian terrorism as if there is no extremist settler violence — and extremist settler violence as if there is no Palestinian terrorism," he said at the time.
Right-wing politicians, including members of the coalition government, lashed out at Barlev, and Bennett played down the violence as the acts of a "marginal" few. Opposition politicians have gone further, saying his comments have invited Palestinian violence.
In a Twitter post on Monday, Barlev said he was now under 24-hour protection. "I’m threatened by Israeli Jews," he wrote.
At a weekly meeting of his Labor Party, Barlev blamed fellow coalition members from Bennett’s Yamina party for "turning me into the enemy of all settlers, and one who doesn't understand security and terrorism by Palestinians against Israeli citizens."
- Israel falls silent to honour six million Jewish victims of the Holocaust as people across the state stand with heads bowed in solemn remembrance
- Tensions Brewing as Israelis Clash Online Over Netanyahu Indictment
- Poland's Jewish groups say Jews feel unsafe since new Holocaust law
- 'If Modi-Shah stand on their heads they won't get 272'
- Officer 'punished' by police likely to get UK visa
- Corbynistas bombard Chief Rabbi with abuse calling him a 'sewer rat' and putting forward anti-Semitic theories about ‘Israeli interference’ in the election after he condemns Labour over anti-Semitism
- ‘Quite Shocking’: Israeli Official’s ‘Fascism’ Perfume Ad Fits ‘Mood in Israel’
- Trump orders 1,000 MORE troops to the Middle East as Pentagon reveals color 'proof' that Iran's Revolutionary Guards attacked oil tankers in the Gulf
- Israeli politics remain in chaos after deadlocked election
- More than 100 Dems send Pompeo letter strongly opposing Israeli settlement policy shift
- 'She shouldn't get £2MILLION for doing a DEADLY job': Grenfell families' fury as fire chief Dany Cotton is set to retire at 50 with gold-plated pension - as report blasts fatal 'stay put' advice that she DEFENDED despite 72 deaths
- Gamble pays off for Lieberman, who becomes Israeli kingmaker
- News Analysis: U.S. Pence's visit to Israel brings nothing hopeful to Israeli-Palestinian conflict
- Israel First Democracy to Expel Human Rights Watch Worker for Supporting Boycott of Jewish State
- Israelis have a chance to dump Netanyahu. I fear they won’t seize it
- Black Brooklynites Attack Hasidic Jews, De Blasio Blames Trump And ‘White Supremacy’
- Thousands of Palestinians Burn Effigies of Trump, Netanyahu After US Move on Israeli Settlements
- Rise of Hindu ‘extremist’ spooks Muslim minority in India’s heartland
Israeli minister gets 24/7 guard, blames Jewish extremists have 521 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at December 27, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.