The Election Commission (EC) on Friday reported a 74.5% voter turnout in the nationwide local elections for chiefs and members of tambon administrative organisations (TAO) last Sunday.
According to an unofficial count, more than 20.4 million out of 27.3 million voters cast ballots in the Nov 28 local polls, accounting for 74.58% of the total number eligible.
The elections were held at 60,414 stations nationwide to choose 5,172 chiefs and 55,197 members — the first time both ballots have been held on the same day.
Six southern provinces were in the top 10 as ranked by the turnout proportion.
Phatthalung recorded the highest turnout of 84.97%, followed by Trang (83.38%), Surat Thani (83.26%), Songkhla (82.76%), Phetchaburi (82.60%), Saraburi (82.55%), Nakhon Nayok (82%), Krabi (81.98%), Satun (81.89%) and Lamphun (80.88%).
According to the EC, the results of the TAO polls must be announced within 30 days or by Dec 28 if no irregularities are detected. In the event of suspected poll fraud, officials will report the findings of any probe within 60 days.
The agency called on those who did not vote to clarify their reasons why by Dec 5 either in person, online or by mail, or risk legal action.
- Coronavirus: Anxious France votes in local polls as virus shuts cafes, schools
- Delhi sees dip in voter turnout as polling for assembly election ends
- Travel operators wary of giving vehicles on rent for local polls
- Singapore revises electoral boundaries, local media reports, as elections loom
- Coronavirus affects election turnout in France, Bavaria
- Coronavirus scare: Local body polls postponed in Andhra Pradesh
- Virus voting: France holds local elections despite fears
- Local elections in France, Bavaria proceed despite coronavirus fears
- Andhra local body elections to begin on March 21
- Andhra Pradesh defers local body polls by 6 weeks due to coronavirus threat
- Laura Dern appears in high spirits during lunch date with son Ellery, 18, after announcing the loss of her 14-year-old goldfish on Instagram
- Ministers urged to provide rescue package for ailing high streets
- Japan Unveils Plans for Domestically-Made Hypersonic Weapons – Report
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar, another BJP nominee win Rajya Sabha poll
- Turnout surge powers Biden in primaries
- Crown seen retreating as CEE currencies gain little traction: Reuters poll
- Ho-hum turnout from Sanders' coalition as Biden takes key states: exit poll
- Colorado’s return to a presidential primary delivered on turnout promise
High turnout in local polls, reports EC have 368 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at December 4, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.