Why shop corporate when you can shop Texan makers this holiday season? Small businesses might still be under financial pressure from the pandemic, but creativity is impossible to quell, and Texas is awash with talented artisans creating all manner of items. Among them is geologist-turned-leather-craftsman Guy Rubio, the San Antonio native who in 2011 co-founded Bexar Goods, a brand that specializes in EDC items for adventure seekers.
While stay-at-home orders caused a surge in online sales, Rubio says 2021 has remained steady. "We felt the effects coming into this year, and the supply chain has become an issue, but with the holidays coming up, we'll have six folks working with us to fulfill orders." While his vertical and slim wallet are both bestsellers, Rubio says the field notes folio is also popular.
If you're in San Antonio? Stop by Bexar's modified airstream trailer on 2202 Broadway Street or shop the online store. "We ship worldwide daily," he says.
See below for our pick from Rubio's line, plus more from some of our other Texas favorites.
Designed to age beautifully and hand saddle stitched by talented leather workers in the heart of Texas Hill Country, carry cash and credit cards wherever you're headed with this rugged yet timeless bi-fold wallet.
Whether it's used for grabbing groceries, lugging around a laptop, or day-trip essentials, Marfa fans will love repping the out-there and artsy West Texas enclave with this stylish yet sturdy canvas shopper.
Holistic aesthetician Carrie Sexton created a small-batch, clean product line for her local's favorite skincare space in Austin — including this nourishing body oil, which balances woody vetiver with subtle notes of bergamot and black spruce.
Although specializing in handcrafted custom hats, Austinite milliner Ryan McGrath also carries a line of ready-to-wear classics, like The Duke, inspired by westerns of the 1950s and '70s but with a modern edge. Trovador Customs , $900
Treat someone special to the best beauty rest of their life, followed by a bright-eyed morning with one of these whimsical hand-stitched silk sleep masks from San Antonio's iconic grand dame boutique hotel, Hotel Havana.
Beauty meets function at sixth-generation Texan Sarah Sauer's San Antonio ceramics studio. Known for making minimalist homewares in muted colors alongside her mugs and pitchers, this incense holder would make a smart addition to any home.
Best known for his large-scale murals featuring bold designs and motifs, Austin-based artist and illustrator Will Bryant's archival print pays homage to the Lone Star State in his signature colorful style.
Inspired by the popular sweet treat at Texas institution Dairy Queen, aka "The Texas Stop Sign," Marfa-based artist Camp Bosworth has put his trademark pop art spin on this original wood-carved Dilly Bar sculpture.
Famous among certain sartorial circles (Billy Murray and Matthew McConaughey are fans) for their bespoke western wear, this patch from Austin's chain-stitch embroidery studio should put a smile on the face of any proud Texan. Don't think of it as a nearly $70 patch; this of it as wearable art.
This article was featured in the InsideHook Texas newsletter. Sign up now for more from the Lone Star State.
The post 9 Superlative Gifts That Were Made — and Can Be Bought — in Texas appeared first on InsideHook .
- With Abortion Largely Banned in Texas, an Oklahoma Clinic Is Inundated
- Rice University Receives $100 Million Gift From Moody Foundation
- Best Christmas gifts for teenagers 2021
- 7 Famous People on the Best Gift They Ever Got (And What They Hope to Get This Year)
- Why Texas has Texas-themed items for days, as explained by Texans
- South of the Wall, North of the Border: Life in Texas’ No Man’s Land
- A Harry Potter-themed California winery is coming to the Texas Hill Country
- I hiked at the most visited state park in Texas - it was breathtaking
- At Sandra Bland Funeral, Mourning a Life Cut Short in Texas
- Many Haitian Migrants Make Their Way To Texas Via Social Media Posts, WhatsApp Instructions
- ‘North Texas Giving Day’ Raises A Record-Breaking $66 Million+
- Samsung is looking to build a $17 billion chip manufacturing plant in Texas
- Kriti Sanon Gifts Herself Swanky New Car Post The Success Of Mimi
- US grants license for temporary nuclear waste dump in Texas
- Officials: Many Haitian migrants at Texas border are being released in US
- Meghan Markle and Prince Harry support Texas women's shelter after historic winter storm
- 'They don't give a sh-t': Seth Meyers slams Supreme Court for allowing Texas abortion ban
- Determined migrants unfazed as deportations begin from Texas border
9 Superlative Gifts That Were Made — and Can Be Bought — in Texas have 872 words, post on www.chron.com at December 5, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.