SINGAPORE: Singapore is watching the impact of the new omicron variant "very closely" and may be forced to roll back some easing measures it had taken to open up the economy, according to Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong.
"We are not sure yet, but we may be well be forced to take a few steps back before we can take more steps forward," Lee said in a speech on Sunday at a convention by his ruling party. "But despite all this, I'm confident we will find a way to living with the virus and safely resume all the things we love to do."
Singapore has been easing border restrictions as part of a wider plan to take an endemic approach to the virus, similar to that of many other countries. Thailand will be added to Singapore’s vaccinated trave lane programme from Dec 16. But with the emergence of the new variant, several governments are taking fresh cautionary measures.
Israel and the United Kingdom have already imposed new travel restrictions to curb the spread of omicron, and Europe has discovered cases of the new variant across the continent. Singapore will require travellers via land from Malaysia to take an antigen rapid test upon arrival when the vaccinated travel lane comes into effect on Monday, the government said in a statement Sunday.
- Our target is to bring down COVID-19 fatality rate below 1 per cent: PM Modi tells CMs
- Keir Starmer says Boris is 'just not up to the job' in brutal personal attack over Covid 'incompetence' - as he admits Labour DESERVED to lose last election in broadside at Corbyn
- From farm laws to caution against COVID-19: Key takeaways from PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- The Show CAN go on: Relief for West End theatres as London returns to Tier Two lockdown... but despair for Tier Three playhouses that must stay SHUT
- Boris Johnson's decision to impose tougher Covid tiers will cost Britain £900million a DAY, say experts as it emerges almost the entire nation is to be banned from socialising indoors until April
- PM Phuc chairs 4th RCEP Summit
- Boris deserves credit for trying to avoid full lockdown, but it’s time MPs had a say in crisis this grave
- Boris’s dad broke his mum's nose: Explosive new biography lifts the lid on PM's affairs, family feuds - and the domestic violence incident that put his mother in hospital
- PM Modi to hold COVID-19 review meeting with Chief Ministers tomorrow
- 'We MUST rescue ghost town Britain': CBI boss Carolyn Fairbairn demands Boris Johnson leads UK firms back to work to revive our struggling economy
- Bihar Election 2020 | RJD alleges poll fraud, says its 119 winning candidates denied certificates
- Nicola Sturgeon says Christmas lockdown respite WON'T be exactly the same in Scotland ahead of crunch COBRA meeting to thrash out joint approach - while Wales warns deadly coronavirus cases WILL rise if families reunite
- SAGE Scrooge warns PM's three-home Christmas bubbles plan risks 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' by sparking a THIRD wave – as he urges families to delay get-togethers until Easter after PM gave Britons five days of festive freedom
- Chris Whitty shoots down Boris's promise that there there IS an 'escape' route from new Tier system by saying 'anywhere that goes into tier one will rise' and Tier 2 is only 'strong enough to hold the line'
- Britain's third coronavirus case caught disease in SINGAPORE: Middle-aged British businessman walked into A&E in Brighton days after flying home before being whisked off to quarantine in London
- 'This is about saving lives': PM lashes out at Andy Burnham's lack of 'leadership' as Greater Manchester Mayor refuses to accept Tier Three lockdown rules and haggles for more money - but Lancashire AGREES to the curbs from TOMORROW with '£30m bailout'
- Boris Johnson speech: PM warns Britain facing six MONTHS of stricter lockdown ruining Christmas for millions of families
- Boris's plan for winter in full: How PM hopes to get 'back to normal' by Easter with 56-page Winter Plan combining vaccines, treatments and tough new lockdown Tiers - WITHOUT crashing the economy
Singapore PM says omicron could lead to return of some curbs have 687 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.