Esteban Ocon feels Oscar Piastri should not be too downhearted about missing out on a Formula 1 seat for the 2022 campaign.
With Ocon and Fernando Alonso firmly locked in for the 2022 season at Alpine, academy driver Piastri was looking elsewhere to see if he could secure a spot on the 2022 grid following an impressive year in F2.
The reigning Formula 3 World Champion sits top of the F2 standings with six races remaining, which forced himself into the frame for the hotly-contested Alfa Romeo seat.
That battle was won by another Alpine product in the form of Guanyu Zhou, leaving Piastri to settle for a reserve and development driver role behind Ocon and Alonso.
Whilst naturally disappointed not to make it onto the Formula 1 grid as soon as 2022, Ocon believes the future still looks really bright for the Aussie racer.
"I think it's just a matter of time before Oscar joins us on the grid," Ocon said in Qatar.
"He's more than talented. He's won pretty much all the titles up until now.
"Of course, waiting is never a fantastic thing for us drivers but the best is for him to watch how everything is going and that's what I did, just trying to get as much information as I could.
"Once you are in the seat, you know how everything works from the inside. That's what I've done and I'm sure he will probably do the same."
Ocon was also complimentary of Zhou following confirmation of his arrival alongside Valtteri Bottas at Alfa Romeo next year and feels it will not take the Chinese driver long to cope with all the challenges that come with being a rookie driver at the highest level.
"It's fantastic to see him getting to Formula 1," Ocon added.
"I've worked with him obviously quite a bit this year, shared an FP1 (practice session) with him in Austria as well, so you know that he was developing very fast into the F1 car.
"I don't think it will take him long to get up to speed but I definitely wish him the best."
- Sebastian Vettel offers verdict on Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas battle for F1 title
- Suzuka's sector one remains one of the best places on the F1 calendar
- Max Verstappen, backed by Orange Army, targets 2020 F1 glory
- Verstappen targets 2020 F1 glory
- What are the secrets to Mercedes' F1 success?
- F1 live: Russian Grand Prix 2019
- Lewis Hamilton predicts F1 'nightmare' and refuses to explain team radio rant
- Wheels24.co.za | 'This one's for Niki' - Mercedes boss dedicates record title to late F1 great
- Mercedes reset targets as sixth F1 title double sinks in
- Hamilton sees F1 title race going on beyond Mexico
- F1 - Renault’s Disappointing Season Brings Doubts
- Deaths of Uber Eats drivers forces rival Deliveroo to increase rider safety - as thousands of workers complain about being injured on the job
- Uber Facilitates Its Drivers With Special Beneficiaries For Job Security
- Proposal to force drivers retake driving tests faces opposition
- Driver with 25 points on licence not banned before fatal crash
- 4 Unexpected Courier Driver Jobs That Pay the Bills
- Hidden Dumbo fire hydrant continues to trick drivers into getting tickets
- F1 live: 2019 Singapore Grand Prix qualifying
Ocon: ‘Matter of time’ before Piastri becomes F1 driver have 550 words, post on www.planetf1.com at November 29, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.