Eight people were rescued and one went missing when their speedboat sank near Koh Nu off Songkhla province in strong seas yesterday morning, local officials said.
The boat was carrying a group of divers when it was swamped by big waves about one kilometre from Samila beach in Muang district about 9am.
Eight people, all divers, were plucked out of the sea by marine police and rescue workers and sent to Koh Nu for first aid. The search continued for the missing person.
Officials said they were unable to confirm if the missing person was part of the diving group or the speedboat operator.
The diving equipment was lost when the boat sank. Meanwhile, a small fishing boat that went missing for three nights was located and taken back to shore in Phangnga’s Tap Lamu district by a fishing trawler yesterday.
The search for the one-crew boat was launched on Wednesday by naval authorities when fisherman Pittipong Phuman lost contact with his family who suspected an accident or an engine problem.
A naval vessel was sent to search for the boat while fishing trawlers operating in the area were also asked to look out for the missing boat.
The boat was spotted by the Choke Kaen Kaew Nawee 1 fishing trawler at 6am yesterday and brought to shore.
Mr Pittipong told officials the rudder was broken and he lost control of the boat. Worse, his phone battery went dead and he could not contact anyone for help.
- Paddlers rescue endangered sea turtle caught in a gill net off East Coast
- Rough seas strand 900 in ports
- Tillerson Promises Rough Seas For Expansionist China
- 'Life-saving on trial': Two activists face jail in Greece for rescuing migrants at sea
- Sea lion caught by police after going for wander around Oregon city
- Italian Coast Guard rescues 300 migrants from stormy seas
- 5 fishers survived, 10 others still missing in Catanduanes sea mishaps
- Deadly sea snake found by woman walking on the beach
- 5 fishermen rescued from capsized boat in Zambales
- Cold-Stunned Sea Turtles Flown To Florida Keys
- Cold-Stunned Turtles Rescued Off Cape Cod Flown To New Rehab Facilities
- "Oscar, Oscar, Oscar": Cruise ship passenger saved after captain engaged rescue protocols
- Inside the deadly DIY boats used by people smuggling gangs to send refugees to sea
- Baby born on boat among hundreds of migrants rescued off Italian coast
- Eleven sailors in distress at sea brought ashore
- Nearly 400 rescued from dangerous, overcrowded migrant boat in Mediterranean
- Supermodel Gisele Bündchen dramatically rescues sea turtle trapped in fishing net
Eight rescued in rough seas off Songkhla have 405 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at November 28, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.