Mazda is a relatively small car manufacturer compared to domestic rivals such as Toyota and Honda, but the Zoom-Zoom company wants to play in the big leagues by expanding its lineup. After adding the MX-30 electric to its portfolio, the Japanese brand is preparing to launch five CX models globally, kicking things off with the CX-50 teased here.
While the CX-60 through CX-90 will ride on a new rear-wheel-drive platform with inline-six engines and PHEV power, the CX-50 will keep things simple by being a larger alternative to the CX-5. It’ll follow the same recipe used by Mazda for the CX-30 , essentially a more spacious CX-3 for those who need the extra practicality. The CX-30 is sold globally, but that won’t be the case with the new CX-50 as it will be available exclusively in North America.
Prior to its official debut scheduled for November 15, the CX-50 makes a brief appearance in a teaser video carrying a kayak while driving through a rainforest. We barely get to see the new SUV, so the video is only good for announcing when the premiere is scheduled to take place. The short clip was also published by Mazda Canada, strongly suggesting the model will also be available in the world’s second-largest country by total area.
Riding on the same platform as the CX-3 and Mazda3 , the new CX-50 will enter production in January 2022 at the factory in Huntsville, Alabama built as a joint venture with Toyota. Unlike the bigger RWD SUVs the company is planning, the new crossover will utilize FWD underpinnings with AWD and a turbocharged 2.5-liter gasoline engine. In the CX-3 and Mazda3, it’s good for 250 horsepower and 320 pound-feet (434 Newton-meters) of torque when the engine feeds on 93-octane fuel.
Mazda’s Lineup Is Booming:
We are not expecting a significant price bump over the CX-5 considering the smaller CX-30 is only $1,260 more expensive than the CX-3. Mazda has already announced the CX-5 will remain in the lineup and has given it a nip and tuck for the 2022 model year. As a refresher, all CX-badged models going forward will have AWD as standard .
- 2017 Mazda CX-9 picks up IIHS Top Safety Pick+
- 2017 Mazda CX-5 earns IIHS Top Safety Pick+
- 'Mythbusters' reboot premieres November 15 on Science Channel
- Updated 2017 Mazda CX-5 to hit dealers in March
- Hands On: How Mazda's Gasoline-Powered Diesel May Lift MPG 20-30 Percent
- Mazda, Google Team for Car Giveaway
- Mazda to build electric SUV with Chinese partner
- Mazda Says Its Next-Generation Gasoline Engine Will Run Cleaner Than an Electric Car
- Toyota and Mazda to share next-gen infotainment platform
- AMD and Fujitsu announce new memory company
- 2019 Toyota Yaris Sedan is still a Mazda, but definitely not a Scion
- New Galaxy S9 teaser videos published by Samsung
- Here are all the news announcements from EA Play 2019
- Don’t Tell Us to Smile: Jingle Cross Announcer Dropped for Sexist Comments
- The Pirate Bay, WikiLeaks Sagas Will Debut on Film in 2013
- Elac updates its best value speaker line with the Debut 2.0
- This Man Sang the National Anthem Before Running a Marathon in All 50 States
- Did Yemen Rebels Shoot Down an F-15 Fighter Jet?
2022 Mazda CX-50 Teaser Announces November 15 Debut have 542 words, post on www.motor1.com at November 9, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.