The United States will send a delegation led by the US State Department Counsellor Derek Chollet to Thailand to affirm its commitment to the region and address the crisis in Myanmar.
The trip is part of a wider tour of Southeast Asia from Oct 17-22, which will also include stops in Indonesia and Singapore.
The delegation will discuss opportunities to deepen US engagement in Southeast Asia and work closely with Asean and its members to tackle several issues, including a strong post-Covid-19 economic recovery.
Chollet: To focus on Myanmar crisis
It will also discuss combatting climate change and the US commitment to the rules-based international order, building on Vice-President Kamala Harris’ recent trip to Southeast Asia, the State Department said.
The members also will reiterate the US’ commitment to the people of Myanmar and underscore that the international community, including neighbouring countries, has an urgent responsibility to pressure the military regime to cease violence.
It is also being urged to release political prisoners, and restore Myanmar to the path of democracy, it said.
In Thailand, Mr Chollet will discuss the distribution of cross-border humanitarian aid along the Thailand-Myanmar border, it said.
- Couple Gets Engaged At Light Up Night In Surprise Proposal
- Leaders of Korea, Asean adopt joint vision
- Vietnam central to South Korea’s ASEAN-focused ‘New Southern Policy’: ambassador
- ASEAN army chiefs gather in Indonesia
- Myanmar's Aung San Suu Kyi cancels Lowy Institute lecture
- Aung San Suu Kyi seeks humanitarian help for Rohingya from ASEAN leaders
- VPN supports ASEAN Navies’ initiatives for sustainable maritime security
- Vietnam attends ASEAN Banking Conference in Cambodia
- Vietnam attends ASEAN meeting on transnational crime in Thailand
- 120 skaters show off skills at 5th ASEAN champs
- Factbox: Myanmar on trial for Rohingya genocide – the legal cases
- US Delegation Meets With Head of Libyan National Army Discussing Suspension of Hostilities
- Myanmar begins rare court martial after probe into Rohingya atrocities
- Miss Asia Pacific International to parade with VN delegation at SEA Games 30
- Can Tho: SMEs gain knowledge about engaging in global value chains
- 28th& 29th ASEAN Summits to pass over 40 documents
- Stop relying on Chinese international students, ASEAN countries say to Australia
- Thankful for family! Newly-engaged Hoda Kotb spends quality time with her young daughters before heading to work to anchor the Thanksgiving Day Parade
US delegates set to engage Asean, discuss Myanmar have 363 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at October 18, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.