A man has been charged with murder and preparing acts of terrorism in the stabbing of a Conservative lawmaker who was killed as he met constituents at a church hall last week
Authorities say a 25-year-old British man with Somali heritage, Ali Harbi Ali has been charged in the death of David Amess The case shook a nation accustomed to having face-to-face contact with its leaders.
"We will submit to the court that this murder has a terrorist connection, namely that it had both religious and ideological motivations,'' said Nick Price of the Crown Prosecution Service. "He has also been charged with the preparation of terrorist acts.”
The death of Amess, who had served in Parliament for almost 40 years and was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II in 2015, has shocked Britain’s politicians, who pride themselves on being accessible to their constituents. It has prompted conversations at the highest levels about how the country protects its leaders and grapples with extremism at home.
The slaying came five years after Labour Party lawmaker Jo Cox was shot and stabbed to death by a far-right extremist. Cox was the first British lawmaker to be killed since a peace accord ended large-scale Northern Ireland violence almost 30 years earlier.
Amess, 69, was a social conservative who opposed abortion, campaigned for animal rights and strongly supported Britain's exit from the European Union.
Matt Jukes, the Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner for Specialist Operations, said the force "will continue to build our case." He said detectives had analyzed computers, searched several London addresses and reviewed CCTV footage as part of the investigation.
"It remains the case that no other arrests have been made and at this time we are not seeking anybody else in relation to this incident," he said.
- 35-year-old man found murdered in Amritsar village
- Chennai: 29-year-old man held for rape and murder of a 10-year-old girl
- 10-year-old girl raped, murdered in Maduravoyal
- 68-year-old man who recovered from COVID-19 dies in Mumbai
- The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared review – laughs are lost in translation
- 84-Year-Old Man is First UK Prisoner to Die of COVID-19 - Report
- 50-year-old man tests positive for COVID -19 in Mizoram; second case in Northeast
- Let's take this party online! A 101-year-old man whose March 31st birthday bash has been cancelled because of coronavirus fears asks people to get him 101,000 likes on Twitter instead
- 25-year-old cabbie found dead in Greater Noida
- Decomposed body of 66-year-old man found in Malad
- UK police charge another over Essex lorry deaths
- 27-Year-Old Man Accused Of Killing Driver During Carjacking
- 3 Charged With 5-Year-Old Boy’s Murder In West Virginia
- 68-year-old man from Kolhapur died of lung disease, not coronavirus, says doctor
- 26-year-old man who was gunned down in SF’s Mission District identified
- Coronavirus: 64-year-old man from Mumbai becomes India's third COVID-19 casualty
- Coronavirus death toll in India climbs to 10 as 54-year-old man dies in Tamil Nadu
- 64-year-old man killed in Monday crash on I-10 near Rayne
UK police charge 25-year-old man with lawmaker's murder have 535 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.