HONG KONG: A burglar who climbed up the drainpipe of a 20-storey Hong Kong building stole HK$450,000 (1.9 million baht) in cash and valuables from the home of a senior executive at an American investment bank before shimmying back down the way he came, a police source said on Thursday.
Officers believed the break-in took place sometime after the 34-year-old wife of the banker left the 17th-floor flat at Conway Mansion in Mid-Levels around 6.30pm (5.30pm Thailand time) on Wednesday.
The burglary came to light around 9.15pm, when the couple returned home to find their closet had been ransacked.
“An initial investigation showed some jewellery with an estimated value of HK$250,000 was stolen, along with HK$200,000 in local and foreign currency,” police said in the statement.
Officers also found a hole in the chain link fence between the building and the adjacent hillside.
The source said the burglar was believed to have “entered the housing estate through the opening in the chain link fence, scaled the building via the drainpipe and climbed into the victim’s flat through an unlocked window”.
He added the burglar was likely to have left by the same route. Officers scoured the area, but no arrest was made.
Detectives from the Central criminal investigation unit are handling the case, and officers have checked surveillance camera footage in the area to gather evidence.
In the first six months of this year, police handled 741 burglary reports involving losses of HK$49.7 million, 36 per cent fewer cases than the 1,156 recorded in the same period last year.
- Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Friday (Sept 17)
- 'Dreams can come true': Regional NSW Olympians and Paralympians steal the spotlight
- Sensex ends above 58K in a first, Nifty tops 17,300; RIL jumps 4%
- IT, select banks lift Sensex by 69 pts; Nifty ends at 17,380; ZEEL spikes 40%
- Sensex rallies over 400 pts to new peak in early trade, Nifty tops 17,700
- Sensex rallies over 400 pts to new peak in early trade; Nifty tops 17,700
- Sensex rises 150 pts to hit fresh record in early trade; Nifty above 17,560
- Sensex rises 150 points to hit fresh record, Nifty above 17,560
- Sensex zooms over 350 pts to hit 60K for first time; Nifty crosses 17,900
- Sensex zooms over 350 pts to hit 60,000 for first time, Nifty crosses 17,900
- Sensex scales historic 60,000 mark; Nifty tops 17,850
- Sensex scales historic 60K-mark; Nifty tops 17,850
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS SEPTEMBER 21
- The best craft beer bars and restaurants in Singapore for a fresh pint
- Gig Harbor Crime & Safety
- Asean News Headlines at 10pm on Thursday (Sept 16)
- 20 Photos of the tallest buildings in the world
- Coronavirus update: Outbreak in far western region of China spreads to second city
Hong Kong burglar climbs 17 storeys to steal B1.9m have 459 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.