Seven Network’s local TV news in Sydney is reporting that the New South Wales government is currently assessing a bid to become the host city of Australia’s Formula 1 race.
The centrepiece of the bid is reportedly a Monaco-style street circuit winding along Sydney’s world famous harbour.
According to the report, “sensitive, high-level talks are underway” regarding a bid for the Australian GP, as NSW looks to pump tens of millions of dollars into major events to accelerate the state’s COVID-19 recovery.
Sydney and NSW have been particularly crippled by the virus, the city – Australia’s largest – only emerging from a months-long lockdown in recent weeks thanks to improving vaccination coverage.
NSW’s investment minister Stuart Ayres is reported to be leading the charge.
7News says officials have confirmed that talks are taking place but won’t speak on the record until the feasibility of a street circuit has been thoroughly assessed.
The permanent Sydney Motorsport Park circuit in the city’s west, which features a state-of-the-art lighting system, is also an option for a Sydney GP, however creating ‘Australia’s version of the famous Monaco race’ is the preferred outcome.
The earliest Sydney could host the Australian Grand Prix would be 2026, with the Australian Grand Prix Corporation in Melbourne holding a contract that runs until 2025.
This is also not the first time Sydney has made noises about wanting to poach the GP, which forms an important part of Melbourne’s claim to being Australia’s sporting capital.
The closest Sydney has come to hosting Formula 1 in the modern era was when Mark Webber drove a Williams across the Sydney Harbour Bridge back in 2005.
Melbourne has hosted the AGP since 1996, when it famously took the race from the South Australian government.
Adelaide was the original host city of world championship Formula 1 in Australia, the South Aussie capital staging the race on the Victoria Park street circuit from 1985 to 1995.
- Companies pushed baby formula in Peru despite ban
- Lawmakers Promise Fresh Push to Overhaul Housing Finance
- Lewis Hamilton May Block Netflix From Including Footage of Him in the German Grand Prix: Report
- Hanoi to host F1 race in 2020, official says
- Formula E drives 67pc jump in sales but escalating costs hit home
- The CEO behind a $10m horse race accused the Sydney Opera House of being 'elitist' over advertising it on the sails
- Lawn motorists cutting corners in quirky British race
- Baby Formula Industry Has A Long History Of Undermining Breastfeeding Moms
- F1 races present both opportunities and challenges: expert
- Horse racing -'Jiggers' earn Australian trainer Weir a four-year ban
- Market report: Glencore rises on Bunge bid rumours
- Waterskiers young and old race to Catalina and back – some in under an hour
- SpaceX faces a growing list of competitors in the new space race -- here's what their futuristic rockets will do
- Market report: Growth fears push Boohoo to year low
- US oil breaks through $70, dollar hits fresh 2018 high
- Stock futures sink as Amazon, Alphabet spark fresh selloff ahead of...
- Unilever investors gear up for fresh tussle over headquarters
- Market report: Delivery hopes sustain Just Eat rally
Fresh push for Sydney Formula 1 race – reports have 538 words, post on www.motorsport.com at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.