NEW ORLEANS (AP) — A New Orleans City Council member facing a drunk driving charge for the third time says he will finish out his term while undergoing inpatient addiction treatment, but he is suspending his campaign for another term on the council.
Jared Brossett, 39, is a district council member whose term ends in January. He had been running for a city-wide "at large" council post. The election is next month. The council voted Thursday to replace Brossett as chairman of the council’s budget panel, according to New Orleans news outlets.
"I have a disease. I want to get better," Brossett’s emailed statement said. "I know that I need help, and I will engage the professional help that I need to be my best self." He gave no details about where he will be treated.
Brossett is facing a driving while intoxicated charge after he was arrested early Monday. He entered a diversion program as an alternative to prosecution following his arrest in June 2020 after he crashed a city-owned vehicle. He pleaded no contest to reckless driving in Florida in 2006 after initially facing a DWI charge, The Times-Picayune’The New Orleans Advocate reported.
District council member Kristin Palmer is running for the same at-large post Brossett sought. In an unusual move, the two had endorsed each other for the post while urging a vote against another candidate, J.P. Morrell, a popular former state legislator from a well-known political family. Palmer issued a statement Thursday expressing sympathy for Brossett.
"I'm proud to have Jared's endorsement because I believe that we are all better than our worst moments," the statement said. "Jared is going to get better.”
- The Hill's Campaign Report: What to watch for in Tuesday's primaries
- Two candidates face off for remainder of District 8 term on the Metro Council
- Sharon Weston Broome kicks off campaign with policy plans, pledge to improve north Baton Rouge health care
- The 'Squad' plays defense as Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar face primary challengers
- The Hill's Campaign Report: COVID-19 puts conventions in flux
- Poll reveals half of Democrats don't think Joe Biden will serve all four years of his term if elected president as he prepares to announce his female VP pick midweek
- California couple who painted over Black Lives Matter mural plead not guilty to 'outrageous and politicized' hate crime charges
- Karen Bass faces searing scrutiny as she emerges as potential Biden VP pick
- Politics is the original cancel culture, but private citizens now face the mudslinging
- The SAGE files: Hairdressers should wear face coverings because there is 'no evidence' shields protect against Covid-19 and 1MILLION patients could have died without efforts to protect the NHS
- Outrage as Manhattan's district attorney DROPS the felony charge against BLM leader accused of assaulting an NYPD cop and releases him on bail
- BBC’s move to make pensioners pay for TV licences descends into farce as website crashes on first day of new charge
- Rylan Clark becomes a celebrity judge for West End Eurovision
- Castro Charged With Rape and Kidnapping As Hideous Details Emerge [Updated]
- Will a Covid-19 vaccine signal an end to the anti-vaccine movement?
- Ex-top aide to LA councilman pleads guilty in bribery case
- Councilman Jose Huizar Hit With 31-Count Grand Jury Indictment
- Hero PC Andrew Harper's mother slams 'unduly lenient' sentences for her son's killers who will go free in eight years - as she welcomes review of their jail terms
Councilman facing DWI charge to finish term but end campaign have 567 words, post on www.chron.com at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.