A man being booked into an Alabama jail wound up at a hospital rather than behind bars after a scan revealed a shotgun shell in his abdomen.
Prisoners entering the Morgan County Jail routinely undergo a body scan when being admitted, and a recent image showed what appeared to be a shell from a .410-gauge shotgun that had been swallowed inside a person, spokesperson Mike Swafford said Thursday.
"He was never booked in," Swafford said. "When our medical staff saw that, they said, 'He has to go to the hospital.'”
The man, who had been arrested by another law enforcement agency in the county, was later released on his own recognizance, Swafford said, and it was not clear what happened to the shell. Authorities did not release the person’s name or the reason for the arrest.
The Sheriff’s Department posted an image of the scan on its social media account to let people know about the screening process at the jail, Swafford said. While baggies or other containers holding drugs are sometimes uncovered inside prisoners, he said, finding ammunition was unusual.
"We don't see a shotgun shell very often,” he said. "We speculate it had drugs in it but we don’t really know."
- An MRI scan reveals what I thought was a migraine to be something darker
- Ancient Egyptian 'cat mummy' preserved in French museum has three tails and five hind legs and is made up of the parts of several cats, CT scans reveal
- Heidi Klum Reveals a Horrific Look For Fans With Her 2019 Halloween Costume
- Has Tutankhamun's tragic teenage wife been found? Documentary on the dig for the body of Ankhesenamun who 'married her father, her grandfather AND her half-brother' could reveal new clues
- Users Permanently Alter Their Minds Inside a Network in an Excerpt From Jayinee Basu's
- My days as a prisoner of war in Pakistan
- Brother of black man killed by Amber Guyger says he hugged her to show that he 'truly forgives her' - as jurors reveal they broke down in tears while deciding on her guilty verdict
- Inside scoop on Bill and Ted 3, Doctor Who and Green Lantern. Plus a crazy Superman rumor!
- Ex-prison investigator: Moving Whitey Bulger to violent West Virginia pen a 'death sentence'
- 'Get the Bad Guy' / Michaels Store Screamer Attacked / Christmas Eve Hawaii Rescue / 'Absurd' Prison Time for Quarter Thief
- Conjuring catastrophes: Inside the world’s largest hurricane simulator
- Where The Bodies Are Buried
- Strictly's Shirley Ballas reveals how stressful the judges' dance was PLUS what she thinks of the pairings - EXCLUSIVE
- 'The Walking Dead' Just Reveal The Whisperers?
- 'Hell will freeze over before we pay a cent': Standoff over serial killer Ivan Milat's funeral as government refuses to release his body unless his family pay for it - but his relatives insist TAXPAYERS should cough up
- Who killed Whitey Bulger? Still no answers 1 year later
- Red Dead Redemption 2 guide: Hunting
- Jeffrey Epstein told guards weeks before he hanged himself that someone tried to KILL HIM: Questions mount over why billionaire pedophile was taken off suicide watch just as sex slave lawsuit named powerful friends including Prince Andrew
Body scan reveals shotgun shell inside Alabama prisoner have 517 words, post on www.independent.co.uk at October 21, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.