Sebastian Vettel says he expects confirmation about his future with Aston Martin in the very near future.
The German joined the British team at the end of 2020 after Ferrari decided to replace him with Carlos Sainz.
He signed an initial one-year deal with the team, with an option included to extend it to the end of the 2022 campaign.
That option has not been activated yet, and team principal Otmar Szafnauer recently revealed the deadline for doing so is now "not far off".
Given that and the fact the team reportedly offered Fernando Alonso the chance to replace his long-time rival, Vettel's future has started to look a little less certain.
However, he is confident he will stay with his current team and is expecting confirmation soon.
"I'm talking to the team obviously and I think we'll have an answer very soon, but at this point no news," he told reporters in Monza ahead of the Italian Grand Prix.
"As I said, we are talking to each other. I really enjoy working with the team.
"I think the atmosphere is great and I do believe the future of this team is very, very bright."
While Aston Martin look likely to retain their current driver line-up for the 2022 campaign, the same cannot be said for many teams.
George Russell will be replacing Alfa Romeo-bound Valtteri Bottas at Mercedes, and former Red Bull driver Alex Albon will be taking the Briton's spot at Williams.
Vettel is pleased with both moves, excited to see Russell drive for a top team and feeling Albon deserves a spot on the grid.
"It's been an exciting week," he added.
"It's nice to see George get the opportunity to move up, nice to see Alex come back. I think with the talent he has, he deserves a spot in Formula 1."
Silly season is by no means over yet either, with the second Alfa Romeo driver for next year yet to be confirmed.
Formula E champion Nyck de Vries looked to be the favourite for the seat at one point, but reports are now suggesting that with heavy financial backing, Alpine junior Guanyu Zhou could be given the nod instead.
- Leaked Birds of Prey Images Surface, Trailer Expected to Drop Soon
- Hamilton extends championship lead as Vettel falters again
- Vettel and Leclerc to be hauled in front of furious Ferrari bosses after Brazil crash bust-up
- Jaws 19 Trailer Celebrates Back to the Future 30th Anniversary
- Higher life expectancy, shorter work spans mean a longer retirement period: Get financially ready
- 'I've told Lee that it's 12 month's salary for the ring': Georgia Love reveals her engagement expectations from beau Lee Elliott as they announce that marriage is on the cards
- Scientists Confirm Light's Crazy Quantum Mechanical Properties in Space
- TOWIE's Amy Childs appears to CONFIRM Celebs Go Dating rumours as she joins Love Island's Amy Hart and other stars for filming at E4 offices
- Sprint may soon be a dead brand ... one way or another
- New Hero Duet 125 teased — Launching Soon
- Life expectancy forecast to exceed 90 years in coming decades
- Man United reveal plans for the future; financial results announced
- Sebastian Vettel-Charles Leclerc crash inevitable - Karun Chandhok
- Foldable phones: all the rumored and confirmed foldable handsets
- Formula One yet to settle on future Brazilian GP location
- PS4 Review: The Future Is Finally Here
- Every Trailer Confirmed & Rumored for Super Bowl 53
- Toyota To Discontinue Etios & Etios Liva In India Soon: Will Not Receive BS-VI Engine Updates
Vettel expecting future to be confirmed ‘very soon’ have 596 words, post on www.planetf1.com at September 9, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.