A LAD of 14 is one of three teenagers charged with assault after a dad was beaten to a pulp for defending his son.
Care worker Alan Willson, 46, ran from his home in Worthing, West Sussex, to a nearby park after hearing his son, 11, was thrown to the ground .
But the youths allegedly beat him unconscious before smashing his head with an object as his terrified son watched on.
Mr Willson suffered life-changing injuries from the brutal attack on Easter Sunday and has been moved to specialist facility after months in hospital.
He worked tirelessly during the pandemic, and the assault has left his family "devastated" and "broken in pieces."
Mr Wilson had brain surgery at Brighton's Royal Sussex County Hospital and also suffered spinal fractures, lung trauma and broken bones.
Detectives have now charged three boys, aged 14, 15 and 17, with grievous bodily harm after the incident in Longcroft Park on April 4.
The teens, who cannot be named for legal reasons, were arrested shortly after the assault and released while cops continued their investigation.
Most read in The Sun
All three will appear at Worthing Youth Court on October 7.
Detective Inspector Simon Dunn said: "I'd like to thank everyone who has come forward to support our investigation so far.
"I’d also like to thank the victim’s family and the wider community for their support, patience and cooperation while we have carried out extensive enquiries in relation to this matter.
“We will continue to support the victim and his family as the case progresses.”
In a statement Alan's wife Annie, 49, said: “I am so grateful to everybody for their well-wishes and donations in the weeks and months following the assault on my husband.
It’s absolutely terrible, he was just protecting his son.
Barrie Willson Victim’s brother
"We have been overwhelmed and touched by the kindness and generosity people have gone out of their way to show to me and my family.
"I would like to thank the medical staff who did such an amazing job looking after my husband in hospital, and my children for being so supportive at what has been such a difficult time for us all.
"While the investigation is still ongoing, we will not be commenting or speaking any further and we continue to ask that our privacy is respected during this time so we can focus on my husband's recovery."
His brother Barrie, 52, previously told The Sun: “It’s absolutely terrible, he was just protecting his son.
“It’s awful, it has left our whole family devastated. We are broken and in pieces.
“He’s such a kind, lovely chap and he did absolutely nothing wrong."
- Father’s desperate screams after he watched from his bedroom window as his 11-year-old son was killed by car
- Drunk woman ‘tried to burn her 11-year-old son ALIVE after locking him in the car boot and torching it because he was too fat’
- Heartbroken mum says her 11-year-old son committed suicide ‘after a horrific social media prank’
- 50 Cent posts Instagram video of boxing fight with his 11-year-old son Davian
- Australian dad slammed after filming his five-year-old son doing burnouts in his car
- Cruel dad guilty of killing his three-year-old son by pinning him down and force feeding him mixture of porridge and Weetabix
- Katie Price reveals her 11-year-old son Junior wants a six pack – just like his dad Peter Andre
- Quick-thinking teacher saves the life of an 11-year-old boy who was choking on an apple
- Florida theme park waitress, 25, ‘repeatedly had sex with an 11-year-old boy… who ended up getting her PREGNANT’
- Dad releases shocking photos of his nine-year-old son who was flung 20FT along a dual carriageway in hit-and-run
- Mum claims her nine-year-old son announced he was transgender while watching male X Factor contestant wearing a dress
- Fussy 11-year-old boy has only EVER eaten custard, digestive biscuits and baby food… and now he wants hypnotherapy to cure him
- Fury as BBC broadcasts transgender show for children featuring a 11-year-old schoolboy who takes puberty-stunting medication
- Heartbreaking final words Caleb Schwab’s dad said to him before ten-year-old boy was decapitated at the Schlitterbahn Waterpark
- Horrified dad found sick messages from paedo predator in his eight-year old son’s Roblox iPad game
- Pervert posed as his 16-year-old SON to persuade girls to send him naked pictures on Instagram
- Father who confronted his children’s 11-year-old bully outside of school slapped with fine and restraining order
- Dad murders 12 relatives including ex-wife and eight-year-old son in New Year’s Day killing spree
Boy, 14, and two teens accused of battering dad within inch of life after he tried to protect 11-year-old son have 843 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at September 10, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.