The Biden administration has appointed former Obama chief of staff and Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel as U.S. ambassador to Japan.
After progressives shot down several trial balloons, the Biden White House has finally found a plum to hand the Chicago Democrat as Biden prepares to send Rahm Emanuel to The Land of the Rising Sun, CNN reported.
Biden floated the idea of sending Emanuel to Japan in May after initial plans to add the Chicagoan to his administration were shot down by unhappy left-wingers. But an ambassadorship was not Biden's first idea to reward Emanuel. Biden initially wanted to appoint Emanuel to be secretary of transportation, but his performance during the Laquan McDonald shooting soured progressives on Emanuel.
Emanuel was criticized in Chicago for attempting to keep news of the police-involved shooting of the black teen under wraps as he prepared to stand for reelection to the city's top job in 2015.
FILE – In this Oct. 20, 2014 frame from dash-cam video provided by the Chicago Police Department, Laquan McDonald, right, walks down the street moments before being shot by officer Jason Van Dyke in Chicago. Amid an outcry after the city waited more than a year to release dash-cam footage of Officer Van Dyke shooting McDonald 16 times, Mayor Rahm Emanuel announced this week that he was setting up a special task force to examine, among other things, the city's video-release policy. (Chicago Police Department via AP, File)
His stifling of the shooting infuriated activists. Years later, the left's pique with him was still potent. Last November, for instance, Democratic New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (AOC) warned Biden to avoid adding Emanuel to his administration because of the former Chicago mayor's actions regarding the McDonald shooting.
Speaking of what was then a nascent Biden administration, AOC reportedly said Emanuel "should not play a role in the party's future."
In a November 9 tweet, AOC said Emanuel was unacceptable to her and added, "We must govern with integrity and accountability. Laquan McDonald's life mattered."
After serving three terms as a Chicago congressman, Emanuel served as Barack Obama's first White House chief of staff, holding the job from 2009 to 2010. After leaving Washington, Emanuel was elected mayor twice in Chicago. He stepped back from running for a third term as his popularity waned over the McDonald shooting and the city's budget problems worsened.
Since leaving the mayor's office in 2019, Emanuel has spent much of his time sniping at former President Donald Trump and Republicans from the sidelines. In May, for instance, Emanuel railed at the GOP, calling it a party "built on both resentment and race" that "has no agenda." And in June, he exclaimed that Donald Trump was an "albatross around the Republican party."
Follow Warner Todd Huston on Facebook at: facebook.com/Warner.Todd.Huston .
- Rahm Emanuel Endorses Pelosi: ‘Rookies Need Not Apply’
- Chicago Pastor on Rahm Emanuel’s Role in City’s Violence: He Has ‘Neglected’ and ‘Oppressed Us’
- Left-Wing Protesters Demand Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s Resignation Ahead of March
- Chance the Rapper Demands Rahm Emanuel’s Resignation over Police Shootings
- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel says he won’t run for reelection in stunning move
- Former Obama Officials Discussed How to Politicize Sandy Hook for Gun Control Before Victims Were Buried
- Obama Center Breaks Pledge Not to Remove Trees in Jackson Park
- Pollak: Obama Is Partly Why Republicans Have a Fighting Chance on Tuesday
- Another new species named after Barack Obama, but he's got nothing on Sir David Attenborough
- Joe Biden to Campaign as Barack Obama’s Third Term
- Obama Leads Celebrities and Politicians in Conga Line During After-Hours White House Party (Video)
- Ari Emanuel Reportedly Rebuffed Requests By Democrats to Release Damaging Footage of Trump
- Megyn Kelly: Obama Slow to Act on Chicago Because Mayor’s a Dem, Former Obama Aide?
- Translator at Trump Tower Meeting Personally Served Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, President Obama
- ‘Beto and Kamala,’ ‘Oprah and Elizabeth Warren’: Elite Hollywood Women Pick Their Dream 2020 Ticket
- New Book: Ari Emanuel Took Commissions in Grade School
- Who is Heather Nauert? Meet Trump's top choice for UN ambassador to replace Haley
- Trump opens a rift in press corps as he disses CNN as ‘fake’ and Fox News as ‘real’
Biden Picks former Obama Chief of Staff Rahm Emanuel as Ambassador to Japan have 716 words, post on www.breitbart.com at August 21, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.