You’re asked to name Houston’s top sports stars. Who do you list?
But what about Derrick Lewis ?
In the UFC , The Black Beast is currently tied with Vitor Belfort for most knockout wins in UFC history. Coming up on Aug. 7, Lewis has the chance to break that record at UFC 265 in his hometown of Houston.
A STACKED LIST : Ranking the all-time best UFC fights to take place in Houston
Lewis will brawl it out with Ciryl Gane for the interim heavyweight championship. At 6-foot-3, 260 pounds, the No. 2 ranked heavyweight fighter is 25-7 with 20 knockouts.
Lewis’ knockout power is only matched by his comedic interviews. You may have heard of Lewis from his famous interview with Joe Rogan at UFC 229, where he knocked out Alexander Volkov.
“My balls was hot…I told them boys, I got nothing but heart,” Lewis said. “They keep on underestimating me, s**t, I ain’t all that technical and all that, s**t I’m getting there. F**k it… I forgot, a few hours before the fight, Donald Trump called me and told me I got to knock this Russian m**********r out because they making him look bad on the news. Him and Putin and s**t, you know, f**k what they talking about, USA in this h*e, f**k…I need to sit my black a** down and do some more cardio. F**k what you talking about right now.”
Say what you may about Derrick Lewis, but he is definitely humble about his success in the ring.
“I don’t care if people don’t respect me because I’m not a mixed martial artist. I don’t respect the sport and train like a mixed martial artist. I’m just a brawler,” Lewis said before his title fight at UFC 230.
Although he wouldn’t say so himself, Derrick Lewis deserves to be on the roster of Houston’s sports stars .
“I don’t care if I am ever remembered in this sport for anything,” Lewis said. “I’m not in the sport for that. I’m just in it to take care of my family. It’s a job for me.”
Tickets are on sale for UFC 265 at the Toyota Center. Even if you’re not a fight fan, you’ll want to be there for Lewis’ post-fight interview. The exchanges during and after the fight are bound to be unforgettable.
- UFC Fight Night 163 results, highlights: Alexander Volkov cruises to comfortable win over Greg Hardy
- UFC Fight Night 163 predictions -- Zabit vs. Kattar: Fight card, start time, odds, live stream
- UFC Fight Night 163 start time -- Zabit vs. Kattar: Fight card, odds, live stream, predictions
- UFC Fight Night 163 start time -- Zabit vs. Kattar: Live stream, fight card, odds, predictions
- UFC Fight Night 163 predictions -- Zabit vs. Kattar: Fight card, odds, start time, live stream
- UFC 237 results: Andrade slams Namajunas to claim strawweight title
- UFC divisional rankings: Alexander Volkov, Zabit Magomedsharipov hold steady after wins
- MaxPreps 2012-13 Male Athlete of the Year: Derrick Henry
- The Sports Report: Rams’ playoff chances take a hit against Steelers
- Dominic Thiem defeats Roger Federer in their opening match of the ATP Finals in London
- Jim Williams insists facing Michael van Gerwen at Grand Slam is 'perfect draw'
- An NFL long snapper tells Block & Tackle about life in football’s least-appreciated position
- Premier League hits and misses: Is time running out for Unai Emery?
- Celebrity deaths in 2019: Famous faces lost this year from Peter Fonda to Toni Morrison
- Top 50 high school running backs of all time
- MaxPreps 2019 Preseason Junior All-American Football Team
- MaxPreps 2019 preseason top 100 national high school baseball rankings
- 100 for 100: NFL's best from the last 100 high school classes
A total knockout: Houston’s Derrick Lewis has a chance to break a UFC record in his hometown have 611 words, post on www.chron.com at August 6, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.