An old diesel bus is living a new life as a smart camper.
In many cases, building your own camper van tailored to your preferences and needs is a better solution than going for an off-the-shelf product from a big company. If you are on a tight budget, you can save tons of money by installing just the features you are going to use without having to pay extra money for unwanted equipment. And when you know what you are doing, the results could be awesome.
Take for example this 1998 Volkswagen Transporter which started its life as a standard cargo bus somewhere in Germany but is now living its second life as a homemade camper van in Bulgaria. The owner wanted to build something that's smart and easy to maintain without breaking the bank, and we love the result. The whole build took him about seven months from A to Z including full vehicle respray, interior modifications, and engine maintenance.
Gallery: 1998 VW Transporter camper
The living area of the Transporter is now thoroughly insulated and has a diesel heater and a ventilation system. A 25-liter tank provides fresh water for the small sink and there's another 25-liter gray water tank. There's also a 12-volt fridge and a compact gas stove. The camper sleeps two grown-ups on a foldable double bed which also hides a storage compartment underneath. The fact that there are no windows may sound a little weird to some of you but it helps keep the temperature inside low.
Smart VW Campers:
As for the bus itself, it's powered by a 2.4-liter diesel engine with 78 horsepower (58 kilowatts). That's surely not the most dynamic way to get from point A to point B but it's a very reliable and easy to maintain five-cylinder unit. The best part is that the entire project cost less than $4,500 including the cost of the donor bus, its full repaint, and the engine maintenance. Talk about creativity, workmanship, and proper planning.
- I Retired, Sold My Home, And Travel The Country In A Van. Here’s What I've Learned About Life—And Myself.
- CIOs: Build credibility by budgeting effectively
- Instagram Bloggers Reveal That #Vanlife Is, Unsurprisingly, Not All It's Cracked Up to Be
- Let's get this party started! Thousands of music fans arrive for 'hottest EVER' Glastonbury as festival prepares to bask in 91F heatwave
- Beat High Gas Prices and Save Your Heart
- Heroes of Health and Fitness
- The Doctors of War
- 18 Creative, Green Gift Ideas—No Trip to the Mall Required
- 10 ways to tune up your mobile office
- A Matter of Taste (And How I Lost Mine)
- Add Amazing New Features to Your Phone and Camera
- How Do You Get Rid of Bed Bugs for Good? Home Remedies and Tips
- Deciding who pays for a client-related expense
- The Nickel Pincher: How to Have the Best Vacation while Sticking Close to Home
- 5 Ways to Address IT Risk for Competitive Advantage
- Cable operators target business accounts
- Java: The once and future king of Internet programming
- Threat landscape and lapses justify security paranoia
Neat VW Transporter Is Homemade Camper Van On A Budget have 538 words, post on www.motor1.com at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.