Toyota claims it’s “still powerful, still indestructible.”
The Land Cruiser has been getting a lot of attention lately, mainly because Toyota recently launched the all-new 300 Series internationally and phased out the model altogether in the United States. It might come as a surprise to some, but the 70 Series is still going strong, despite being originally launched way back in 1984. Not only that, but it’s getting an update next year in Australia where it remains quite popular.
Available as a pickup truck in single cab and double cab flavors alongside the five-door Wagon and two-door Troop Carrier body styles, the LC70 will receive hardware improvements within the next 12 months. Australian magazine Motoring has learned from local Toyota representatives the reputable off-roader will get a safety upgrade as well as an increased payload capacity.
Gallery: 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser 70
The Land Cruiser 70 Series has been updated throughout the course of its 37-year life cycle, with the most recent update being last year when the Aussie version received a 6.1-inch touchscreen and dual USB ports among other changes. Going back in time, 2016 saw the launch of a cleaner diesel engine to meet tougher emissions regulations, along with a traction control system, side curtain airbags, and various electronic aids for the driver.
It’s currently available in Australia with the trusty 4.5-liter turbodiesel V8 engine producing 202 horsepower (151 kilowatts) and 317 pound-feet (430 Newton-meters) of torque. The diesel punch is delivered to the four-wheel-drive system via a five-speed manual transmission. Motoring notes it’s unlikely the 2022 update will come along with the twin-turbo V6 diesel introduced in the Land Cruiser 300 Series where it makes 305 hp (227 kW) and 516 lb-ft (700 Nm) sent to the wheels through a ten-speed automatic.
Which LC For You?
Also available in the Middle East (where the FJ Cruiser is still on sale), the LC70 will likely stick around for at least a few more years seeing as how the automaker is investing money in an updated version. Toyota has been thinking about developing a direct replacement since 2013, but it looks like it’s prioritizing continuous developments of the venerable Series 70. The same thing happened with its predecessor as the 40 Series was sold between 1960 and 2001.
It’s unclear when the revised version will be launched, but Toyota told Motoring :
“As part of our commitment to continuous improvement, we have plans to continue to update the specifications of this model in the next major update, the details of which will be revealed in due course.”
Source: Toyota via Motoring
- This 6x6 Toyota Land Cruiser Pickup Is An Unstoppable Dune-Crusher
- The Best 2019 Toyota Land Cruiser Is Not For Sale In America, Of Course
- Next Toyota Land Cruiser May Drop the V8: Report
- Watch The 2019 Suzuki Jimny Go Toe-To-Toe Off-Road With a Toyota Land Cruiser Utility
- This Is Why Everyone Wants An FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
- The 2020 Toyota Land Cruiser: All the comforts of home, and big as a house
- 'So much power': 18-37 year-olds make up largest voting bloc in 2019 election, group says
- The Canadian-Market Land Cruiser Normal People Can't Buy
- This Land Cruiser Is On Brownstone Safari In Brooklyn
- HGTV pilot host is found guilty of sexually assaulting his daughter's 10-year-old best friend after she testified that he fondled her when she slept over his Connecticut home
- I Can't Find Anything To Hate About This Hipster Land Cruiser
- Desperate search launched for 14-year-old girl who vanished in the middle of the night with her mother's ex-boyfriend, 34, in Virginia
- FBI joins search for missing 14-year-old Virginia girl who vanished in the middle of the night with her mom's ex-boyfriend, 34, who is 'armed and dangerous' and believed to be hiding in the woods
- 'Just let me know if you're OK': Isabel Hicks's tearful mother and brother plead for the missing 14-year-old to come home after she 'ran off with her mom's 34-year-old ex-boyfriend'
- Video shows male suspect approach missing Alabama three-year-old Kamille 'Cupcake' McKinney in park moments before she was snatched - as two persons of interest in the case deny any involvement
- Archaeologists find 2000-year-old 'lost' street built by Pontius Pilate in Jerusalem as a 'pilgrim's route' through the holy city
- RICHARD PENDLEBURY: Five-year-old Jumar's wounds from suspected white phosphorous chemical weapons mark a despicable low in a new Syrian conflagration sparked by Donald Trump's retreat
- 'Adelaide will live on in all of us': Hamilton star Miguel Cervantes and his family say goodbye to their three-year-old daughter who tragically died after suffering from epilepsy and spasms with uplifting Celebration of Life ceremony
37-Year-Old Toyota Land Cruiser 70 Still In Production, Getting An Update In 2022 have 757 words, post on www.motor1.com at July 30, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.