It’s apparently twinned with a future Audi A4 E-Tron.
Originally announced over three years ago, the Premium Platform Electric is a dedicated EV architecture jointly developed by Porsche and Audi. The first production models to utilize the underpinnings will be the Q6 E-Tron coming in 2022 and the next-generation Macan (exclusively with electric power) confirmed for 2023.
While Audi is apparently working on an A4 E-Tron without a combustion engine to slot below the E-Tron GT, Porsche is said to be plotting its own version as a cheaper alternative to the Taycan . Autocar has it on good authority the folks from Zuffenhausen are planning to go after the Tesla Model 3 and the upcoming BMW i4, but the new electric sedan hasn’t been approved just yet.
Gallery: Porsche Vision Turismo
PPE has been previously described as being more sophisticated than MEB by offering all-wheel steering and air suspension, not to mention support for 350-kW fast-charging and torque vectoring. In the case of the potential electric Porsche, there will be single- and dual-motor versions with rear- and all-wheel drive, respectively.
Autocar reports the company could dust off the “Cajun” nameplate initially trademarked a decade ago, but nothing is official at this point. Since the sub-Taycan model hasn’t even been approved yet by Porsche executives, it seems unlikely a production version will arrive before 2025 provided it gets the stamp of approval.
Get Up To Speed With Porsche’s EVs:
It could be built at the firm’s Leipzig factory and should undercut the rear-wheel-drive Taycan available in the US from around $80,000 before any applicable incentives. There are also talks of an electric Cayenne, but that one is likely earmarked for later in the decade. Porsche has reassured sports car purists the 911 won’t be losing its combustion engine this decade , although a hybrid powertrain is planned to arrive before 2030.
- Audi’s E-Tron GT concept is a 590-horsepower electric sedan powered by Porsche
- Here's What the Production Porsche Taycan Could Look Like
- Watch The Porsche Taycan Benchmark Testing With the Tesla Model S on the Stelvio Pass
- The Electric Porsche Taycan Will Get A Sweet Lifted Wagon Version Too
- The Electric 2020 Audi E-Tron GT Sedan Will Be Built on the Porsche Taycan Platform
- The Cars We're Excited to Finally See in 2019
- Jaguar is Thinking About Phasing Out Internal Combustion Engines in Favor of Becoming an All-EV Brand Within Five Years
- Tesla Gigafactory China: Mud, “Basically An Open Field,” Not Gonna Happen — Skeptical Claims Revisited - CleanTechnica
- The cult of Elon Musk: Tesla founder comes to Detroit
- Uber tests self-driving cars in Pittsburgh
- Trump Says EU's Offer to Scrap Car Tariffs Is 'Not Good Enough'
- Payne: 2016 Detroit News Vehicle of the Year
- Car buyers get bigger discounts in October despite strong auto sales
- The 2018 Volkswagen Arteon Is A Gorgeous Grand Tourer But I'm Not Sure Who It's For
- Build less, license more: Tesla needs to be an ARM, not a half-baked Apple
- Vote Here For Our Philly Radwood Reader Contest
- A tale of two Subies: 2015 Subaru Impreza VS. 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
- Tesla's Model Y: This Could Be The Company's Most Profitable Vehicle - Seeking Alpha
Porsche Believed To Be Plotting Cheaper Electric Sedan Below Taycan have 538 words, post on www.motor1.com at June 1, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.