Pennsylvania's Senate on Thursday voted to end Gov. Tom Wolf Tom Wolf Pennsylvania ends COVID-19 emergency declaration Pennsylvania Senate votes to end governor’s emergency declaration for COVID-19 Governors can protect civil liberties, too MORE 's (D) COVID-19 emergency declaration, following a move earlier this week by the state House.
Pennsylvania's Republican-controlled legislature also ended Wolf's ability to close businesses, implement occupancy requirements or initiate stay-at-home orders.
At the same time, the Senate passed legislation that extends waiver protections initially put into effect during the COVID-19 pandemic to hold until Sept. 30.
The move to end the governor's emergency declaration comes only a month after a majority of Pennsylvanians voted in favor of two ballot constitutional amendments that would curb the governor’s pandemic response.
"Today we delivered on our promise to the citizens of Pennsylvania who voted yes to end the state of emergency at the ballot box in the primary," state Sen. Kim Ward (R) said in a video on Twitter.
But some Pennsylvania Democrats were upset over the move to end the emergency declarations.
" While I disagree with the decision to end the emergency declaration in HR106, I will be supporting HB854 which extends many important protections of such a declaration through Sept. 30," the Pennsylvania Senate Democrats said in a tweet .
"This is a compromise that will preserve much of the Governor’s emergency declaration, and I am hopeful that it will not put our constituents at risk or harm the industries that have struggled in the last year," the caucus added .
While I disagree with the decision to end the emergency declaration in HR106, I will be supporting HB854 which extends many important protections of such a declaration through Sept 30. pic.twitter.com/9ByRbfF3V5
— PaSenateDems (@PaSenateDems) June 10, 2021
- Senate votes to stop US support for Yemen war, condemns Saudi crown prince
- Senate Votes to Demand Donald Trump End Support for Saudi Arabia in Yemen, but Will It Help End the War?
- Donald Trump ponders emergency declaration as Democrats dig in over US Government shutdown
- As federal government restores capital punishment, Pennsylvania pushes to end it
- John Hewson urges Liberal conscience vote on climate emergency motion
- "Snow storm plus" hits New York, state of emergency declared
- Spanish election: Can another vote end the political deadlock?
- Border wall row: 16 states sue Donald Trump for declaring emergency
- Anti-hazing law named after Penn State fraternity pledge goes into effect in Pennsylvania
- Donald Trump Declares National Emergency Citing 'Invasion' of U.S. in Rambling Speech Full of False Claims
- Trump rails against only Democratic governor in the South at Louisiana rally
- Votes tally: Buhari coasting to victory, Atiku trails
- NEXT SENATE PRESIDENT: Oshiomhole’s riot act, ripples of the Lawan endorsement and fear of the PDP bloc vote
- Progressives Score Major Victories in Pennsylvania Primaries
- Gov. Wolf, Republicans Authorize $90 Million For Voting Machines For Election Security
- Democrat Andy Beshear declares victory in tight Kentucky governor's race
- Book World: The eight stalwart progressives who shared one Senate desk
- Trump to Declare National Emergency - US Senate Majority Leader
Pennsylvania Senate votes to end governor's emergency declaration for COVID-19 have 517 words, post on thehill.com at June 10, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.