Building on the past, and looking to the future.
The current Land Rover Defender is built on the same platform as the Discovery . While the latter wasn't necessarily a sales disaster, the monumental success of the latest Defender led to a poor year for the Discovery. To combat the issue, the next variant of the Discovery will switch to JLR's Electric Modular Architecture (EMA).
While Jaguar Land Rover CEO Thierry Bollore described the EMA platform as "battery-native" it isn't a death sentence for internal combustion. The new architecture would allow for a full-hybrid or plug-in hybrid, accompanied by a gas-powered four-cylinder engine – yes, it would also support a full electric configuration.
"The need for the Defender in terms of platform is different from the one that is going to carry Discovery, Discovery Sport, Velar and Evoque," said Bollore to the Financial Times.
Meanwhile, the Defender will use the Modular Longitudinal Architecture (MLA), which allows for battery-only models while maintaining compatibility for a longitudinally positioned engine – where the crankshaft is oriented along the long axis of the vehicle. The MLA platform would also allow JLR to offer a selection of electrified internal combustion engines for buyers getting cold feet about plug-in drivetrains.
Defender vs Discovery:
With a long-wheelbase Defender on the way in 12 to 18 months, Discovery sales will likely take another hit. The larger model is said to be aimed at the luxury SUV niche and will include seating for seven.
While the news of a new platform is exciting, we'd wager that most prospective buyers should keep their feet on the ground. Rumor has it that the new EMA platform for the Discovery will debut at the end of the British Automakers 2024 financial year on March 31.
Source: Auto News
- Japanese Rovers Send Back First Images Ever Taken On An Asteroid's Surface
- Discovery Samples Multiple High-Grade Mantos and Chimneys Over 3 Levels at the Puerto Rico Mine, Puerto Rico Project
- Heroin dealing lands Kent businessman in prison for seven years
- Peak Performer of the Week: Ashten Prechtel, Discovery Canyon volleyball
- Corvus Gold Expands Its District-Wide Land Package by 15 sq. km, Adding Several New Target Areas, Bullfrog District, Nevada
- The Undiscovered Continent: AccorHotels launches MyChicAfrica, a new lifestyle & travel media platform
- After Trump's Family Separation Plan, One mother’s Hellish Journey to Find Her 8-Year-Old Son
- Chicken Express Selects Paytronix Platform to Bolster Gift Card Sales Across Chain
- ‘Fortnite’ Gets Crossplay on PS4, but Here’s Why Most Games Likely Won’t Use It
- New Jersey Mining Company Increases Land Position in Central Idaho
- Eden, the Fastest-Growing Office Management Platform, Now Available to 65 Percent of U.S. Offices
- UB has no plans to develop, build on 200 acres of university land
- Reis & Irvy's and Jacksonville Entrepreneur to Donate 30 Days Profits to Victims of Jacksonville Landing Shooting
- Trump Says Family Separation Works Because it Deters Immigration
- Supernova Energy, Inc. Enters Agreement to Acquire Oil Production and Land Position in Kentucky
- NASA’s InSight Mars Landing Activities at Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Japanese Robots Send Pictures After Landing On Asteroid
- Letter from the Editor: Dating apps, self-discovery and Tulane • The Tulane Hullabaloo
Land Rover To Separate Defender And Discovery By Using Different Platforms have 558 words, post on www.motor1.com at May 29, 2021. This is cached page on Auto News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.