Perez bounced back from a difficult Friday that saw him crash into Esteban Ocon in FP1 and struggle to feature with the frontrunners in FP2 by qualifying second at Imola. It marked Perez's best-ever F1 qualifying result, beating his previous best starting position of third, as he fell just 0.035 seconds shy of pole-sitter Lewis Hamilton's lap time. But Perez believed he did have the pace to snatch pole position away for Red Bull in the dying moments of qualifying after Hamilton failed to improve on his final lap. "I should have been on pole today,” Perez said. "I did a mistake on my final corner, so I think it’s everything positive. "We just have to make sure that we keep progressing, and tomorrow is what matters.” Perez was satisfied with how he managed to recover from the incident on Friday with Ocon, and admitted he was surprised by the turnaround over the weekend. "I have to say well done to the team,” Perez said. "Yesterday I made a mistake and I made them work hard during the day, so it’s a good recovery. "But the most important is always showing progress. I never expected to be here today where… Read full this story
- Lewis Hamilton starts 2018 British Grand Prix from pole position at Silverstone
- 23 Years Ago Today, We Lost Ayrton Senna: A Sad Day For F1 – May 1st, 1994
- F1 Bahrain Grand Prix results: Lewis Hamilton gifted win when Charles Leclerc suffers mechanical woes
- F1: Sebastian Vettel wins Formula 1 2018 British Grand Prix
- Ferrari accused of 'cheating' by an enraged Lewis Hamilton as F1 title fight gets dirty at British Grand Prix
- Delighted Lewis Hamilton secures British GP pole ahead of Sebastian Vettel in thrilling session
- Durango F1? Don’t make me laugh.
- F1 Australian Grand Prix qualifying results: Mercedes sweeps front row
- Jolyon Palmer column: Hamilton v Raikkonen and F1's penalty problem
- F1: Lewis Hamilton takes pole position, 2018 Formula 1 British Grand Prix
Perez: Last-corner mistake cost me Imola F1 pole have 328 words, post on www.motorsport.com at April 17, 2021. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.