Gasly and AlphaTauri starred in qualifying for F1’s season opener, the Frenchman starting fifth behind Ferrari’s Charles Leclerc and ahead of McLaren drivers Daniel Ricciardo and Lando Norris. Gasly’s rookie teammate Yuki Tsunoda also showed flashes of speed but missed out on a Q3 spot. AlphaTauri’s qualifying pace has given Gasly confidence that the Faenza team will be in the mix at the head of the midfield for the entire 2021 season. “I think [with] the pace we’ve shown all weekend we are in the mix with the Ferrari and the McLaren and that’s the positive,” Gasly said. “I think we’re clearly going to fight with them and on all tracks.” While Tsunoda impressed on his debut by moving up from 13th to ninth in the race, passing Lance Stroll on the final lap of the race, Gasly’s race was ruined on the first lap when he hit the back of Ricciardo and had to pit for a new front wing. Gasly, who eventually retired from the race with further damage, was disappointed that AlphaTauri’s promising pace wasn’t converted into a big haul of points. “When I had the contact with the McLaren, after that the race was pretty much… Read full this story
- Supercars for the 21st century: The very best from Ferrari, BMW, Porsche, Acura and McLaren
- Test Drive: 2015 McLaren 650S takes only minutes before making you fall in love
- The McLaren P1 GTR is 986-horsepower of track-only nonsense at the Geneva Motor Show
- Ferrari FXX K is a track-focused LaFerrari supercar cranked to 1,036 horsepower!
- McLaren set to debut $1.3 million, 217 mph P1 supercar at Geneva auto show
- Ferrari's fall in Formula One causing corporate concern
- Nissan GT-R fights for the right to be called a supercar against Bugatti, Lamborghini
- With Lance Armstrong on the offensive, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency is in the fight for its life
- Jenson Button wins Belgian Grand Prix
- Hamilton profits from Rosberg mistake to win F1 Italian Grand Prix
Gasly: AlphaTauri can fight McLaren, Ferrari on all tracks have 327 words, post on www.motorsport.com at April 8, 2021. This is cached page on Auto Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.